open mouth kissing
i've read that there is a very low chance of transmission with open mouth kissing. recently i was involved in open mouth kissing with someone who then told me there were positive. my only reason for concern is that i had a cold sore on my lips at the time. was anyone ever in a similar situation or suggest a course of action, ie best method of testing. i don't think i can wait 3 months for a regular screening.
There is no risk from what you describe. In order to contract HIV through kissing, both of you would have to be ACTIVELY bleeding and that was not the case. There is an element in saliva that kills the disease and therefore, saliva is not a method of transmission. And remember, the active bleeding I described is 100% THEORETICAL. There has never been a documented case of HIV through kissing.
thanks for your quick reply. another factor that worried me was there was some blood on my lips (i'm a mouth breather when i sleep at night which dries them out) after kissing.
Deep kissing is not a risk for HIV infection, blood or no blood. If you both of you had had root canal work done and there were gaping wounds in your mouths, then there would be a theoretical risk.

You have to look at it this way. HIV positive people get chapped lips/mouth ulcers/bleeding gums, yet there has never been a reliable, documented case of HIV transmission via deep kissing. The mouth simply isn't an efficient environment - thank God - for it to happen.

So relax and kiss away. Bear in mind that if your sexually active you should have regular STD checks, perhaps every six/twelve months.

But you have nothing to worry about in this case:)
Before you start 'kissing away' & potentially spreading STDs - not just HIV but many others that are passed by mere skin to skin contact - i.e. HPV - I recommend you do a bit more research & even get tested.

You don't know what the credentials are of these people who are responding to you.

Per STD experts, every STD spread via the genitals can be spread orally.

That said, even "experts" make mistakes.  Years ago doctors were telling patients, infected with herpes, that it can't be passed if there is no visible sore.  Later they found out they were wrong!  Whoops - unfortunate for all those newly infected.

Given today's sexually permissive society, diseases are continuously tranmutating (changing) & new ones are consistantly coming into existence.  To avoid spreading or catching anything, your safest bet is to avoid deep kissing.
First off quit bring up post over a year old and posting incorrect information.