HIV Prevention Community
oraquick

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

oraquick

quick question....I know you guys are going to ask me to shut up, but after Benboy's story of 10 oraquick tests and still testing positive my anxiety went through the roof. I went online to the FDA website and it says clearly that even after 3 months, oraquick can give false negatives. About 1 in every 12 results will be a false negaive.
Here's the link

Q: And if it's negative, does that mean that I definitely don't have HIV?

A: No - and this is important for users of the test to understand. The test is not reliable at detecting HIV infection until at least three months after infection. In addition, even after three months, there can also be false negatives. Clinical studies by untrained consumers showed that the OraQuick test will produce about one false negative result out of every 12 tests performed in HIV infected individuals. It's also important never to use a negative test result to decide on whether to engage in behavior that puts you at risk for HIV infection.

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm310545.htm
Tags: FDA, reliability of oraquick, oraquick, risk
Then get a lab test.  

3 months is conclusive, that's all we can tell you.  No doubt that the oraquicks are less accurate and sensitive than blood tests, but overall, they are pretty reliable.

Not much more to say, if you're questioning an oraquick result, then use a different testing method.  If your concern is anxiety based (I would bet), you will find reasons to doubt any tests, doctors, etc.  That's anxiety for you.
Nursegirl,

Thanks. I know 3 months is conclusive. If Oraquick is less accurate, do I have to get a blood test. Or can I believe these results i got from Oraquick and move on?
In other words, if i wasn't anxious and you were my doctor, would you ask (not recommend) me to get a lab test.
You can confirm the result with a simple hiv test at a clinic . Keep calm till the confirmation :)
I understand that...I want to know if nursegirl, who I understand would see a lot of cases similar to mine would ask me to take a test in spite of 4 oraquick negative results. All of them after 4 months. I will take a test as soon as I can.

I thought these tests were confirmatory and I did not have to worry. I feel like I'm back to where I started.  
All tests can give false negatives, you tested conclusively negative. You don't have an HIV concern.
There are no tests marketed or sold that will give a conclusive negative test result  earlier than 3 months post exposure.
You don't need to test again, you're letting anxiety get the best of you.  The facts are, that most newly infected people test + within weeks of an exposure.  With the advancements of testing, it's rare to need 3 months to produce detectable antibodies.
Thanks Teak and Nursegirl..Bestrong_ had me confused for a while there.. I understand what you guys say...Anxiety really kills you and when nursegirl said oraquicks are not as accurate and sensitive as bloodtests it almost made me cry..
Once again thanks guys..you're all awesome..
HiTom,

Back again ,eh?

I know where you're coming from. And I have gone over this myself time and again.

The Oraquick self test is in essence identical to the one that has been used for a number of years in clinical settings.

The difference is that now virtually anyone can self administer the test. Emphasis on "ANYONE"!

There are folks out there with limited mental faculties, reading comprehension issues or just plain not bright....... etc.

I've read about people swabbing too many times....too few times....spitting on the swab....dunking the swab into the solution before swabbing, taking the stick out of the solution while the test was still in progress....jeez...the instructions even go as far as advising folks NOT to drink the solution!!...That in itself should tell you that some folks just aren't too bright. No offence to anyone btw...

Is it any wonder why the self administered test would yield more false results then when administered by a trained technician or nurse?

If you're a reasonably intelligent person and from your grammar and how you posted your question you surely are and you followed the instructions as per insert....then you're fine and the test is good .

Mainly, a lot of folks can't remember what they had for breakfast...let alone remembering exactly the last possible exposure.......don't forget that that is the most important criteria...especially with oral tests as they can take a bit longer than blood based tests to become positive.
But the standard is 12 weeks.
William,
I'm gonna stop checking for symptoms. Every other day I get some crazy symptom and I get on this website, then I see people like Benboy and Bestrong_ say things which make me question the test. I'm kinda losing my sanity.
Thanks for all the kind words buddy. It's awesome that you'd go out of your way to help a stranger. Thanks again.