HIV Prevention Community
possible HIV exposure - Symptoms

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

possible HIV exposure - Symptoms

A month ago I had protected oral and protected anal sex with a transexual escort (I was the insertive partner). She put the condom on, the sex lasted about ten minutes. When it was over the condom appeared to be intact and she roughly pulled it off my penis.

- 2 days later I had red bumps in my pubic area. Went to a DR 3 days later, said it looked like folliculitis and gave me a script for doxycycline. Was taking 200mg for only four days as the bumps went away in about a day so I stopped the medicine.

- After a few days of the doxy my mouth felt very wierd. I noticed some bright red specs on my tongue. A few days later about a week after the event the back of my tongue started getting white. I was now in full panic mode and could hardly sleep convinced that I had hiv.

- 2 weeks after the event my tongue was now completely coated in what looked like a roughly white fur and I was started to get a cold. I went to the DR and had her looked at my tongue. She gave me some nystatin. The head cold lasted about a week, stuffy / runny nose, coughs and sneezes. Throat velt very swollen but was only sore when I woke up in the morning and only mildly so. Never had a fever never had a rash. Was a little fatigued but I attributed this to being a nervous wreck. Felt a little colder than I normally do but wouldn't say I had the chills. I took a full std blood test at this point and came back completely clean.

- 3 weeks after the event I had bad jock itch, red blotches under the head of my penis and the oral thrush was still there. Went to the DR who said it "I have no idea why you're so yeasty!" And gave me some cream. The cream cleared up the jock rash but the thrush won't go away.

Its now been a month, does this sound like I had an exposure and if so are these symptoms typical? I have a family and have been an absolutely nervous wreck for the last month. I've lost 8 lbs and I'm freaking out. Please offer some guidance. I plan on getting tested at 6 weeks.
Protected penetration is no risk. You used protection and the protection did not fail during penetration, so you are fine. Oral sex (protected or unporotected) has nothing to to with HIV

You were not exposed to HIV risk from the situation you mentioned
Thanks diver, that's what I keep trying to tell myself but I've never had symptoms like this ever and its making me second guess whether or not the condom actually failed or not.
Just a follow up question, aren't these symptoms a little strange right after this encounter? I've never had any of them before and from what I understand they can indicate hiv infection.