post exposure prophylaxis
hi doc m dentist.during one of my extraction my instrument got stuck to my finger n produced needle stick like injury. that pat. was hiv positive. i started medition 3 drug contaning azt,statavudine,nevipramine. now i want to know which is d test to dig. earliest hiv today is 5th day.n what r d chances of becoming hiv positive.
needle stick with hiv patient have 0.33 percent chance for transmission, using PEP decrease the chance of transmission.there are several test to perform sooner like PCR and AG test but the antibody test is more sensitive(gold standard) test for hiv after 12 weeks.
the CDC tell for needle stick with hiv patient you should test for antibody  at 6 and 12 weeks and then 6 months.(but so many doctors and also this forum do not belive to 6 month for needle stick and they say 12 weeks after finishing PEP is enough) .this forum is not a doctor forum.
and if I were you, I would test for antibody and antigen at 4-6 weeks and with negative test
I can be more relax and I do the final test at 12 weeks after finishing PEP but it is better for you to talk to your doctor about it.remember the chance of transmission is just 0.33 percent and it is very low.