HIV Prevention Community
reliability

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

reliability

I had unprotected vaginal sex. 3rd day i had fever of 37.6. 4th day after exposure i had weak legs and kidney, low back pain. At 6 th day i develop sore throat with white tongue. On the 8th day i felt slight headache and on and off fever normally in the afternoon. I went for a complete test at 32 days after my exposure. tje test result came out hiv 1&2 by elisa as non reactive but i was diagnosed with herpes 2. i know conclusive result is only by 3 or 6 months. i am so desperate to know the accuracy for 32 days test. and will herpes prolong the produce of hiv antibodies?
Symptoms alone can NOT be used to diagnose HIV as they could be attributed to a variety of other causes. Around one month post 2/3 of people will have developed anti-bodies for HIV. HIV tests are conclusive at 3 months.
Will herpes have any effect like prolonging hiv antibodies. i was told by md take the test was 80 to 90% accurate.
Hi..i would hope for an analysis from lizzie, getitright, diver and zamzam. Thanks
you had a risk

your "symptoms" are not hiv related
* too early
*come all at once...not over the course of 5 days

3 months is conclusive

herpes will not delay production of antibodies
When you test at 3 Months post-exposure you will be able to put this anxiety all behind you.Get 6 Months out of your head,unless your immune system has blown a gasket and is totally run down then it's 3 Months for you.All the best buddy.
What about the elisa ab test at 32 days post exposure? I know i m nt going to rely on that but would to know how reliable it is. i read somewhere in medhelp here stated by one of the doctors saying that around 90% people will tested positive within 3 to 4 weeks. i m nt doubting the experts but would hope to find out how true it is. 2 weeks after my post exposure i found out the girl i had intercourse were admit into a hospital due to stomach infection on previous surgery. a blood test was done on her and nothing was found in the blood. do u need any specific or those sensitive blood test to perform a hiv check? I m sorry you might find this question annoying or might get irritated with that. i saw a lot posting almost the same things over and over. i m just trying gather all odds to slightly ease my anxiety. thanks in advance
32 days is a bit early, 8 weeks is 99% and 12 weeks is 100%.If you had a DUO at 4 weeks it would have been 99% accurate because it looks for both antibodies and p24 antigen.Wait until 8 weeks and test again,then 12 weeks for a final test.All the best.
Would 32 days be somewhere around 90 to 95?
* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusively negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusively negative results or a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria established by MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.
Hi teak.
You might find my post very excessive. i read a lot about u. i respect you in every corner. The hardest thing for being hiv positive is to accept the fact u r. i m like the other normal person here who trying to aasemble all the odds and get a best assurance to ease their anxiety level.
I feel your pain and it is a tough situation to be in and we have all been there,but the reality is that it's a waiting game.You know when to test,just hang in there and the time will pass.
I had fringer prick test at 6 weeks 2 day. It came out negative. just like to ask is this test reliable or trusted. i had read in a doctor blog who is based in singapore that rapid finger prick test is very accurate and in 6 weeks its closed to 99%.
Yes,that is an excellent result and highly unlikely to change at 12 weeks.
To Lizzie
At my 7 weeks later i tested with another rapid test. its negative. but i am experienced swollen ( not sure if it is a lymph node) behind my ear.. its not visible but can be easily felt. i read one of your post. you mention lymph nodes in hiv is very large like a golf ball right and it is generalized throughout the body? A pea or bean sized lymph node is not counted?
you keep doing all these multiple tests and before you know it you're going to wind up throwing out a FALSE positive.  how are you going to deal with that??????

you've been told that you're 6 weeks test was very unlikely to change...now you have a 7 week negative.  stop searching for "symptoms"...its not going to happen at 7 weeks ! ! !

relax...just test at 3 months to collect that CONCLUSIVE result.   expect a negative ! ! ! ! !
But my lymph node just came out in nowhere. i did not poke it. it just swell up. i am happy that i had been told 6-8 weeks result is highly reassuring. i am also very thankful that you expect me to be negative, seriously all of you guys are a big help. but i can just ignore the swelling part.
swollen lymph nodes can be caused by a multitude of things ! ! !  

ars symptoms come at 2-4 weeks post infection...NOT 7 weeks.

test at 3 months...it's just that simple
Thanks Lizzie. You, getitright and Dr Hook are a big help in this forum.
sorry for question again. due anxiety driven, i went for a test at 11 weeks with third generation elisa. NEGATIVE!! Dr in the expert forum has stress that i could already consider the result to be definite by 8 weeks instead of the conservative 3 months. i understand you guys are sticking with three months. but is there any major difference if i test again in three months or 12 weeks? and have guys every come across anyone tested positive after 11 weeks?
Your 3 month post exposure test will be conclusive.
hi getitright. i had come across in australia that a hiv should conclusive by 8 weeks. and i even learn that the doctors had never ever come across anyone that a 8 weeks or yet my 11 weeks negative turn positive in a later period. since you are from Australia (a very wonderful country) would you agree that the statement are true?
please teak. i dont think that is the answer towards my question. but first, dr hook who had assessed me, said that 8 weeks would be conclusive and dr hhh too even agreed and stated in one of its post. anyway i don't want to debate on the window period. if the guideline says 3 month then i will go ahead. my question is " has anyone come across a 11 weeks negative turn positive at 12/13 weeks???"
We follow the guidelines put out by the CDC. While they maybe outdated do to new testing senesitivity we will say 3 months until the CDC changes it.
thanks vance. my over conservative doctor even said 6 months. but i trust Dr Hook instead but yet i still will go for a 3 months guideline. however i just want to know the answer from my question.
We are not people who adminster tests here, so we can't answer you.
this question is for lizzie or getitright77. i know 3 months is conclusive. as you can read i had a negative at 11 weeks. do you think i can happily declare i am hiv free and start to go on with my life?
hi lizzie. merry christmas. i need your help here in telling and i much in the clear. thanks
I am not an expert.However I feel that you are safe.It is highly unlikely that 11 week negative will be positive on 12 week or 13 week .However do a test on 12 week.
so worried. dont feel offended but i will feel better with an expert dropping a words of encouragement
11 weeks is very good. You can expect a negative at 12 weeks. :)
hi andrew. since you are from malaysia as well as i do. why is the doctor keep on mentioning 6 month thing even when they are using third generation elisa test? they really put so much stress in me.
I'm not sure too. I guess they did not update their window period. However, all i know is, 3 months is conclusive. :)
so i really ignore my doctor right? anyway do you know where can i get an anonymous hiv test in malaysia. i know they are using sd bioline rapid. is the performance as good as the others?
http://www.cdc.gov/globalaids/Resources/pmtct-care/docs/TM/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11
#4
  In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results
sorry teak. when you say three months do you mean 84 days or 90 days?
Same meaning.
3 months is 3 month.
Any government clinic.
ok i will be going for my 12 weeks test. and i know malaysia clinics are using sd bioline rapid. is this test fda approved?
i had sex with sex worker... i used the protection but dnt know whether it got broke or not..after some weeks later ylw liquid came out frm panis i tested for gonorrohea but it is neg.and tested for all other stds  but came neg except fungal infection...i had sore throat,cough, back pain nausea but not fever rash weight loss..i got tested in 3,4,n 5 mnth but all result were negative...
1.does fungal infection delay the production of hiv anti body?
2.i had back pain n amazing feeling in my eye is this related to hiv?
3. should i need to retest again in 6 mnth,,?
4.can i apply for abroad study with out any tension about it?