HIV Prevention Community
risk of infection from blood draw

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

risk of infection from blood draw

Hello all, On the 31st of January, I had a low risk non- sexual exposure (use of a common unsterilized razor in a barber shop). I understand that this risk is only theoretical...but 10 days later i had developed a wierd patch on my back which was diagnosed as herpes zoster at the time (the diagnosis was later changed to FDE or fixed drug eruption). I also had some oral thrush in my mouth (diagnosed by dermatologist and GP) which led me to panic and go for testing without having had no sexual exposure at all.

In any case, I have tested 3 times (once every month)
Ive done 3 4th Gen Duo tests, 2 DNA PCRs and 1 RNA PCR (all negative). Ive also done one HCV RNA PCR and HBSAg (all neg)since the exposure.

On 19th April, I went for what I promised myself would be my last test. The phlebotomist drew my blood twice (once from each hand) since the first draw didnt get her enough blood. After the draw was done she asked me why I was re-checking post a negative DUO and DNA PCR. I replied that I was a bit panicked and wanted to be certain. She then told me that I was unduly worried and that she had actually got a needlestick injury from an HIV positive patient and "nothing had happened to her". Alarmed, I asked her whether she had checked herself post the needlestick...she just smiled in response. Since she wasn't wearing any gloves, I got very worried and reported the matter to the head pathologist of the lab.

When the pathologist confronted her, she changed her story and said that she had never said anything like that (probably because she thought she might lose her job?). When i asked her privately, she said that she was talking generally..that such things happen and refused to reveal how long back her needlestick had happened..she also said that she hadn't poked herself before inserting the needle into my vein both times. In any case, inspite of my pleading and offering to pay, the pathologist refused to do a DUO or a DNA PCR on her saying that it wasn't required. In the end he agreed to do a rapid (10-15 min) test on her which was negative.

Now, after receiving the last set of negative reports, I am freaked out about the possibility of the lady having a primary infection and pricking herself before putting the syringe in my vein for the blood draw as no gloves were worn. Please advise whether you find this incident risky and whether i need to test again. Its been 20 days since my last test and im having weird muscle aches and body pain which is strange because i dont do any physically demanding work. Can this be ARS?

Please im very worried. Can someone help?
Even if the phlebotomist was HIV positive, no risk.
At no time were you ever at risk of contracting HIV.
even if the phlebotomist was positive and not wearing gloves...Im not questioning what ure saying but pls understand my state of mind

thanks
final Q...should i consider testing if i get any more symptoms? or should i just let it go?
No you do not need testing.
I ask because i have a family...and dont want to spread it to anyone
You can't spread anything you don't have.
You really need to seek some professional help for your irrational fears.  You never needed testing in the first place, and now you've created quite a mess with this phlebotomist.

It sounds like she was just trying to reassure you by explaining just how hard it is to get HIV (and she's right).  You turned that into an irrational worry that you could somehow get HIV from the phlebotomist and made things into a big mess.

The only way you would ever be at risk is through unprotected sex, or sharing IV drug works.  That's IT.  If you can't let this go and stop worrying about HIV, then get some help.
Nursegirl, I understand I have developed OCD regarding plan to seek counselling ASAP...but I owe it to myself and my family to check if this encounter had ANY risk at all...thats all.

From your response, Im assuming that I do not need any further testing
pls correct me if i am wrong
"OCD regarding HIV and plan to get counselling ASAP"
What part of you never had an exposure is it you can't comprehend? I've had HIV for 29 years and my family has never been at risk of contracting HIV.
hi
hi
damn....sorry for the above waste of space.

I keep getting weird body and joint pain...im a bit freaked out...Can this be ARS??

* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusively negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusively negative results or a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria established by MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.