HIV Prevention Community
symptoms worsening

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

symptoms worsening

I had unprotected vaginal and anal sex with a 44 year old woman while drunk.  28 days later I took the duo test in a private clinic. Negative. I was delighted. At the time doc found slightly swollen gland in groin and under arm.  I presumed they would go.  They worsened, and are uncomfortable.  Took standard test at gum clinic after six weeks.  Negative.  Now it's eight weeks.  I am very worried.  Glands are swollen, I feel run down and I have diahorrea.  Can anyone give me their thoughts as to the reliability of the tests or why these symptoms are worsening?  I am going up the walls with worry.  Thank you.
I recommend waiting another month and getting another test then.
But don't lose sleep over it, expect a negative result at that point.
Have you been tested for other more common STIs? Have you been picking and prodding your lymph nodes? Have you been under great stress/ anxiety over the situation? This might explain some of your symptoms...
Thanks for your thoughts.  I know this is best, just the worry . It does grind you down. You know what I mean.  After the duo test at four weeks, I really thought that would be it. I cannot believe I put myself in this situation.  
I have had full sti testing and am clear.  Yes I have examined and felt around the nodes, even though I don't know exactly what I should be feeling aside from swelling.  And yes I do feel under pressure, and frustration at my own buck stupidity.
All I can say is that a test at 6 weeks is reliable, so there is no need to worry for you.
The only reason I am suggesting a test at 3 months is because you are still concerned!
Many other infections cause lymphadenopathy besides HIV and HIV usually leads to fever in the early weeks after infection.
Since you're anxious, why not pay for your lady friend's rapid test?  That will settle your fears right away.  
You are automatically assuming that the woman is HIV+. Firstly the chances of her having HIV are pretty damn slim and even if she were your chances of contracting are still less than 0.5%. I took the P24 Duo test last year due to similar worries and came out Neg, work out the percentages: 0.5% in the first place and then the P24 test is 98%, relax, have a beer and chill, your OK. Worrying about HIV can bring on false symptoms, extreme anxiety causes tiredness & diahorrea anyway and the swollen glands will be due to worry.

The P24 antigen test is 98% accurate but only if taken at 28 days. The standard antibody test is only accurate at 3 months (very extreme cases 6 months). HIV is only usually only passed onto the receiving partner, the one giving (especially if male) is only at slight risk, this risk is increased slightly if there are cuts or ulcers on the penis.

I would put money on you being OK.
Oh I would with pleasure, but it was a total stranger from New Orleans that I met on a london break. (the joys of drink)   I have none of her details. If the glands were due to hiv is there anywhere in particular they would be located in the arm pit?
Appreciate the comments.
Stop looking for a symptom and look at your % chances in reality. I had all the symptoms and my doctor say it was normal for a patient under extreme anxiety to have (ghost symptoms). The chances of you catching HIV during hetero sex (even under the extremely minimal chance she is infected) are almost zero.
HIV ARS lymphadenopathy is generally not painful, as far as I know, and your sickness doesn't sound like ARS at all.
Most importantly, you already have two negative tests under your belt, which pretty much rules out HIV.
What else can I tell you?  Expect negative results from now on...
And Steve is right - your risk was pretty low.  Not zero obviously, but low.
Thanks for you comments  - it is good to be steadied up. I'll let you know at twelve weeks. Regards.