HIV Prevention Community
thrush

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

thrush

Teak,

I have seen you post some stuff about thrush??  I think I may have it but have taken some antibiotics before.  Not long term antibiotics though.  would even short term antibiotics cause thrush or could it be due to something else such as hiv.

you stated that you had thrush but only after years.  does thrush only come on later in hiv infection??

thnks
Thrush can come at any time to any one. The only way to know if you have thrush is to see your doctor or dentist and have them diagnose it.
but when u got it did u get it from antibiotics or from hiv?
I take antibiotics every day to prevent PCP due to my CD4s being less than 200. So yes, mine was considered caused by antibiotics.
do antibiotics cause thrush after being taken for a short time though?
I am still not sure if I am positive (test pending), but I got thrush during my ARS-type symptoms.

I was given Zithromax for possible STD infection and 3 days later I got white patches on the roof of my mouth and upper throat area. I was then given NYSTATIN oral rinse and that cured it.

God I hope mine was just from the antibiotics!
Any reason you posted to a two year old thread? Look at the dates before you post.
whoops! Sorry, I'm a newb.

I will be more careful...
Thrush-- a yeast infection by any other name ( or as my dr put it diaper rash on the mouth -- classy eh ?)

I had been on two broad spectrum antibiotics back to back plus I was under stress dealing with the death of a family member living at a hospital not eating or sleeping well came back to where I live had sinus Inge toon went and for antibiotics. Half way through treatment crazy sore throat and weird taste in my mouth go to out patients he has well my dear you have thrush -- earth shattering the dr follows with when was you last blood work ( thinking he was going to HIV I said month a go and be he asked how was your sugars? Fine I said why? Well thrush is women is common symptom of nomdiagnosed  or poorly manages diabetes given nystatin all gone,

Long term use of antibiotics kills off all your good flora the ones responsible for keeping the yeast in the mouth a bay-- but when the antibiotics rape all the good yeast runs rampant in the mouth sand the vagina of women
Move along..