HIV Prevention Community
unprotected sex with two partners

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

unprotected sex with two partners

I have been incredibly stupid and had unprotected vaginal sex with two different partners in a very short space of time about a fortnight ago. i have now convinced myself i MUST have HIV as i have been feeling unwell since.
I am not aware that either of these men is infected with the virus, but i'm still scared they might be and i could have picked it up.
i have been feeling fluey for 10 days (this started about six days after the second sexual encounter). i've had a sore throat, achey (achy) limbs, headache and general lethargy. I've seen a doctor who said i DONT have tonsillitis but my throat is a little pinker than it should be. i was also swabbed for possible herpes infection cos i had two tiny cuts on my skin down below....but i had used a different shower gel and it may have been an allergic reaction. however i've read on the internet that you can get ulcers on the genitals with early HIV so now i am beside myself with worry.
two nights ago, i vomited - which really scared me as i am NEVER sick. now i'm back to feeling achey (achy).
is this the early symptoms of HIV? i am convinced it MUST be. i can't get tested for another 10 weeks as i only had unprotected sex a fortnight ago. i can't imagine how i'm going to get through until then.
what are the chances that i have HIV?
i know my symptoms could be anything.....but how at risk am i?
thank you
you have engaged in a risky act. unprotected sex with unknow stauts partners is always risky. I would advice you test at 6 weeks past the last encounter to get a good indication to your position and then test 3 months past the last exposure to get your conclusive results. I wish the best of luck and next time use condoms please.
thank you.
can i ask......is there any chance of a positive result showing up as early as six weeks?
i always thought it had to be three months before you were likely to get an accurate result?
at 6-8 weeks 95% of those who are positive would show at that time but 3 months is the conclusive result.
really? i had never heard that. everywhere i looked on line seemed to say it HAD to be three months.
it is slightly reassuring cos i've been struggling to imagine how i'd survive the next 10 to 12 weeks. i will get tested sooner, for sure, then go back for a conclusive result.
thank you again.x
3 months is the minimum for an absolutly conclusive result (100% accuracy), but between 6-8 weeks you will get a highly accurate result (minimum 95%) and chances are very slim that the results will change between then and the 3 month period.  Of course though, it is still wise to follow it up with a conclusive 3 month test just to be sure.