HIV Prevention Community
weight loss

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

weight loss

Is it true that weight loss is the first sign of ARS? What is this weight loss due to?
No.. Anxiety and stress.
* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusive negative results or a no-risk situation will be based up the criteria MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.
Teak but in every place you read about HIV it says that weight loss is an indicator of HIV and this is not not from bullsh*t sites we are talking here about reputable sites? It says that gastric problems are the first thing that appear when somebody gets HIV and that they are one of the symptoms of ARS.
Move on. You never had a risk.
Teak how can you say its not when evrey article and site about HIV says it is?
How can I say it. I live with it and have for twenty three years. Weight loss is not caused by early HIV infection it's cased by anxiety and stress. For your information I weigh 165 pounds which is my normal weight for my heigth.
Teak man don’t get me wrong but we read that weight loss is one of the early symptoms of HIV and this is well known site such as Wikipedia and other medical sites. That’s all what I meant.
Yeah and you keep reading and you'll find you were born to alien partents also.
Teak I really trust your knowledge and judgment you never told me anything that my doctor did not confirm to me you also. your comments also help me a lot in getting over the idea that I was infected I have lots of respect for this but I only disagree with you on this point because I have read it over 10,000 times in 10,000 deferent web sites ( medical & encyclopedias)
can i comment or i will be band?
Well you read incorrect information. HIV is not the cause of weight loss in early HIV infection. Even those who have weight loss in later HIV infection is due to the medication they take that makes them where they don't eat proper or eating makes them ill or they don't have the money to eat proper due to the cost of medications. Take an extra 1200 or 5000 out of your budget a month and see if you eat proper.
I am sorry to hear this and wish all the best in the effort that you’re giving to all of us on this forum.
Hello Kopboy,
You can not use symptoms as a determinate of infection, even if you believe you are experiencing initial associated infections -or- symptoms, you still need a test. Weight loss IS a stated initial reaction in some, but stress and anxiety may also be the causes for any weight loss. Medication expenses are NOT yet a factor for anyone who has NOT even tested positive, so this idea should really be disregarded. Simply testing 3 months after any possible exposure is a must, this will also give you piece of mind. Practicing safe sex is a must & test if you think you have yourself at risk.

Weight loss is not a sign or symptom of ARS in early HIV infection. The question was on HIV and yes medication is a factor on weight loss with HIV and the causes of weight loss in people that have HIV.
Teak,
What symptoms DO you attribute to initial hiv exposure-seriously? We all know testing is the only real confirmation, but this aside, we all know there are, in SOME cases symptoms that accompany infection in those about to test hiv positive, there is know denying this occurs. So can you please explain why it is that you don't recognize this? We all consider you the most knowledgeable contributer to the forum Teak, personality differences aside. I just don't see how weight loss, a key symptom, can be disregarded man. So please tell us...
MOVE ON. You are starting you BS again. You've been lurking the forum a long time after leaving, which you didn't actually leave and you know that HIV has NO specific symptoms. Consider yourself reported.
So now hiv is symptomless? According to you? Okay, that is completely unbelievable now. Say you prefer people not to concentrate on symptoms, which is want i thought you really meant to say, but don't go out on a limb and say there are know symptoms.
I have lost over 10 pounds in three months...i had a possible exposure through oral sex(im a girl receiving from a guy) about three months ago and have had multiple symptoms( fever, muscle aches, mouth sores, red dots on my body and lost a good amount of weight) waiting for my results already been tested and all other stds are negative except didn't get a herpes test... the weight loss is breaking me out though please help!!!!
You never had an exposure.
Another question are sure problems an early sign? And how can you be so sure
No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS: Volume 16(17) 22 November 2002 pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan
Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117
Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.

There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex. The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way. Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk". There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Please educate yourself about the real risks. If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. " DR HANSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who believe that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..." DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK

in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA
"HIV is not spread by masturbation, through oral sex, through kissing or other casual contact." Dr. Hook
"The observation on thousands and thousands of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort)." DR HOOK
"I would not say your risk ,if he had HIV is "slim to none"- that's too high.  I would say they are effectively zero.  How much of his ejaculate or other genital  secretions you may have swallowed makes no difference.  EWH "
"As far as HIV is concerned, there is no known risk of getting HIV from performing oral sex on an infected partner, even if that person's genital secretions get into your eyes or if you swallow." Dr.Hook
Eye problems**
See your eye doctor, you don't have an HIV concern
Thank you so much for taking the time to help:-)
Could you give me early signs of hiv?
Very sore throat,very high fever and a rash on the trunk--torso and limbs.
HIV doesn't have any specific symptoms and sa I told you earlier you never had an exposure.