HIV Prevention Community
whosright

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

whosright

why are thebodys guidelines different?

When Should I Get Tested?

If you are infected with HIV, it usually takes from three weeks to two months for your immune system to produce HIV antibodies. During this "window period you can test "negative for HIV even if you are infected. If you think you were exposed to HIV, you should wait for two months before being tested. You can also test right away and then again after two or three months. If you are infected, you can transmit HIV to others during the window period even if you test negative. In fact, during this period of early infection, you have the greatest chance of passing HIV infection to others.

About 5% of people take longer than two months to produce antibodies. Testing at 3 and 6 months after possible exposure will detect almost all HIV infections. However, there are no guarantees as to when an individual will produce enough antibodies to be detected by an HIV test. If you have any unexplained symptoms, talk with your health care provider and consider re-testing for HIV.
3 months post exposure is when you can obtain your conclusive test result if you have had an actual exposure.
i did have an unprotected sexual exposure and tested out to 3 months with 4th generation tests but reading that as you can imagine got me concerned.ive been advised etc by my health care provider that any infection i may get would now not be due to hiv but as u can imagine thats concerning reading.maybe you could help explain the reasons behind the difference in advice to me
Have no idea why other websites give incorrect information.

http://www.cdc.gov/globalaids/Resources/pmtct-care/docs/TM/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11
#4
  In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results
i dont understand though.surely that other site is following some kind of guideline.that dr bob guy is all over it saying 6 months here,6 months there ,yet others state 3 months,makes me wonder just how sensitive these tests are and if people actually know wot they are doing , jeez
Old guideline, 3 month guidelines have been in effect since 2004.
i wont mention the other sites name again but a knowledgable guy such as yourself must have looked on there and seen what im talking about, they posted the above guidelines in 2010.what hymn sheet are they reading from? my clinic states ive been overtested with 6 duos,the last at 3 months,i even went out and celebrated grrrr
Like I said, we aren't responsible for incorrect or outdated information that you find on other websites.
i know mate and im not having a go its just very confusing ,my biggest worry is say i was to catch some infection a little bit down the line(probably being run down from worry grrrr) could i be confident that due to all my tests and the time frame followed that its not connected to HIV???/?
If you test negative 3 months post your exposure then you are conclusively negative.
i tested at 2 weeks,4 weeks 6 weeks,9,10 weeks and 12 weeks, is that conclusive? as in in the clear?job done?move on? kinda thing ?
Yes move on, you don't have HIV.
so a future infection,illness would not be down to hiv due to my testing? last query.
Your symptoms don't have anything to do with HIV.
thankyou.im not educated in this.my clinic adopted the attitude of "let us do the thinking,just sit there and hold your arm out"they explained the kind of tests and said they are very sensitive these days.is this an american based site?
Yes, this is a US website.
so if i was to catch an infection in the future would u recommend retesting or definately not due to hiv ?
You don't have an HIV concern, you already have a conclusive negative test result.
ok , thanks for the advice,sorry to keep asking,just anxious i suppose