HIV Prevention Community
window period

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

window period

guy's im totally confused ..someone say window period is 3 months,someone say it's 6 months
and i have tested according to window period i.e.after 3 months ...do i need to test after 6 months??
guy's please tell me what shuld i do ??
no you should not except your negative and move on i stopped testing at 84 days if that helps you any
HUH?
3 months is conclusive, i think alienshadow had a typo
yes i did sorry about that
you should except your negative and move on
what are the chances to get infected after 3 months??
If you read the CDC website or any other you will see that it is extemely rare to take six months to turn positive remember they are saying extremly rare and that was long ago and testing has improved greatly. I accpeted my 3 month test you should really do the same.
thanks ..it will realy makes me to cool down.i was really very tensed ...
look move on with that 3 month result and forget about hiv
Window period... huh... new subject... right...

I really envy you guys for living in a first world country.

I just called the Department of Public Health here in my country and they said I had to wait up until 6 months and that the quick tests were no good! That it had to be an Elisa Assay for it to be reliable. I had to take one @ 30 days, 1 @ 3 months and then 1 @ 6 months to rule out hiv... crazy huh?

They also said that even using a condom I needed to get tested... again... crazy, huh?

6-8 weeks test is higly reliable, as said by the docs who have not seen a 6 weeks neg turn into pos in their whole life, but in the US (as in most industrialized countries) the official window period is 3 months.
dude what are you doing posting this here man
Wow talk about in the dark about HIV. It is too bad that your country medical system is not more up to date. Thank for sharing this information but it could drive some of the worried well to start questioning their quick test result. As you have seen on the web there is a vast resource of information in regards to HIV. I think most people here know what the current window period is and what the risk factors are. Really sound like the early 80's testing that is going on in your country.
Sorry if I didn't explain myself right. My intention was to let people know that industrialized countries are always ahead on researchs and information.

My note was just that... a note. A comment... nothing to take into account with this whole deal.

By the way, they run current tests here as the tests providers are from industrialized countries. For example, the test they ran on me was a rapid Abbott Determine HIV 1/2 which, although not fda approved, is very reliable. It is considered a third generation test as I could find and Dr. Handsfield uses it on his research in Zimbabwe. It is an european approved test.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/256245

I apologize for not making my note clear. I didn't mean to scare anyone out... Sorry.
No problem. We know that are many from around the world visit here and seek out as much information that they can. Thanks for the information and maybe next time just start a new post with that information.
3rd world countries are given their HIV tests from other countries such as the UK and the US. They are not given inferior tests and their test results are the same as ours and that is 3 months.
Yup... just as I said.

Amen on that brotha'!
Dear all,
Agian I am posting something proves the window period and now it is from CDC.
You can everyone read what CDC replyed to me after I had asked them about window period:

"Thank you for your inquiry to CDC-INFO. In response to your request for information on when people should be tested for HIV and who may take longer to show positive on a test, we are pleased to provide you with the following relevant information.  The tests commonly used to detect HIV infection actually look for antibodies produced by your body to fight HIV.  Most people develop antibodies within 2 to 8 weeks. The average is 25 days. Ninety-seven percent will develop antibodies in the first 3 months. In rare cases, it can take up to 6 months.
In extraordinarily rare cases, if an individual's immune system for some reason does not make excess antibodies, the standard enzyme immunoassay (EIA) test for HIV antibodies would not detect unbound antibodies. In addition, we are forwarding your inquiry to the CDC's Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention for their information. If they have any additional information or questions they will contact you directly."CDC said

And you can everyone try that with them or call them about that.

Good nite.
Hope that help everyone here.
That's what you've been told, 3 months.
dear Lord.......................................not again!