HIV Prevention Community
worried about oraquick tests

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

worried about oraquick tests

Hey guys... Ive been reading this site now for about 4 months helping with my anxiety. so the story goes I had drunken unprotected vaginal intercourse with a stripper during a dance. When I sobered up the next morning I was very upset about what I had done. I started freaking out about different STDs and then thought about the worst case HIV. I went on google to look for symptoms which I now know is the #1 thing not to do. At about 2 weeks I started feeling off. I had a cough, a small nickel size rash on the inside of both thighs nothing on chest or face, and a tight sore neck, I was a little sore in the genital region, white sores in my cheeks would come and go, and just felt like I was getting ill. I never had a fever, headaches, night sweats, or any of that. I understand that symptoms are not a good indicator and were most likely anxiety related since I had been stressing about this non stop from morning till evening and even in my dreams. at 10.5 weeks I finally got a rapid oraquick mouth swab which I was told was negative. again at 12 weeks I had another which I was also told was negative. my issues here is that im currently deployed and the person that administered the test was a military medical aide who admitted that he had never done one before and even used google to look up the instructions. this may be my anxiety coming back to haunt me again but I worry if he did it incorrectly or if maybe the line was faint on the T and accidentally missed. Should I get another test for piece of mind or should I trust in what I have already received. Thank you so much for what you do and taking the time to help me. your work is greatly appreciated by me and others like me looking to this site to provide comfort while they wait to be tested as well.
Do the blood draw.

Cant discuss what tests would or would not do/show/say. Impossible to know based on your experience
I see no reason to be concerned with 2 negative tests. If you want peace of mind then have one done by someone who is trained to do so.
Thank you Vance that helped a lot. I wish I could however I don't think there is anyone here qualified to do it. I have the option of a blood draw which takes 30+ days to be sent out and returned... I had thought about buying and having a test sent over from a pharmacy to do it myself. Thank you again for your help. you put my mind at a little more ease.

sorry I did have another couple questions that came to mind regarding the oraquick test. 1) at 12 weeks would the line be pretty noticeable or could it be a faint line and possibly be overlooked as nothing? from posts I have read I understand that the thin lines are either false positives or those who are not outside their window. 2) is this accurate? again thank you for your time.
Do the blood draw.

Have an HIV question?
100,000+ doctor answers