HIV Prevention Community
worried mom/haircut

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

worried mom/haircut

I have read through the forum but have not found my situation exactly. My 4 year old son had a haircut today. He was a little scared but all seemed to be going well then she took out the buzzers/electric razor thing. He did not like it so she showed him on her arm that it did not hurt and then did it on his arm. Then she shaved his neck with it...he got a small cut from it and a red bumpy straight line rash in 2 places from it. I guess a rash is indicative of small cuts...so my fear is that she used it on her arm first so if she was hiv positive then could she have passed it along through the small cuts in his skin. I do not know if she cut her arm or not as some times the red rashes take a few minutes to show up because this was at the end of the hair cut so we left and I did not notice it until we got in the car and now hours later he still has it. Thanks
HIV is not spread through barber equipment.
that just seems like a standard statement...could it be spread if one cut was followed by another which was immediate...not like it was after a few minutes but literally immediate...i mean he's 4 and clearly has a nick on the back of his neck from the clippers she used on her arm
It's standard because there are no CLEARER answers.

HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and/or vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug users
Mother to child
Thinking each incident is different so requires different analysis...thought I have read about not sharing razors etc so thinking this could be similar...there was no time between her arm and his neck so to me that seems like host to host...think i would feel better if there had been a few minutes of exposure to the environment before it was used on his neck...just want to make the best choices for him but don't want to take him for unnecessary testing either...just a mom here worried...
so...do razors/clippers spread hiv under any circumstance...like mine
so...do razors/clippers spread hiv under any circumstance...like mine .

No, not under any circumstance.