Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
23 year old female, 4yrs of gradual thinning and irritated/red scalp

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

I am a 23 year old female. Noticed gradual thinning on the crown of my scalp over the past 4 years. It is not falling out by any means, its just not growing back. There are not any patches or bald spots, but more of a thinning all over the area and the Follicles/Area are very low ( I can actually count and see each one in a small area) No matter how I part my hair you can see my scalp. My scalp is also very red on the crown area and is somewhat painful to comb/ touch. Its the worst when I get out of the shower.

Had my blood tested by a doctor, as well as for lupas, SLE, thyroid, allergies, etc..and all were negative

I am taking 3000mcg Biotin/day and my hair is very shiny and long, but not growing back on the top of my head. Also using Nioxin shampoo.

Took DepoProvera for 2 years, Yaz for about 4, and currently have stopped taking BC for a year.
I drink very little alcohol, 1 cup coffee everyday, and eat relatively quite healthy.

What could this be? I cant figure it out and neither can the dermatologist I am going to.
Tags: hair loss, female, 23 years old, sensitive scalp
"red on the crown area and is somewhat painful "
Sounds like fungal or bacteria infection to me
Hello, I have a similar issue.. I'm also 23 and my hair is super thin.Most of the times when I part my hair my scalp shows and it drives me CRAZY!! Is the 3000 mcg Biotin helping you in anyways?What about the Nioxin shampoo, have you noticed any change?
Let me know pleaseee..
Thank You.