Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
Acne and Hair loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

Acne and Hair loss

I am 16 years old and i have suffered from Acne for about 5 years now. I've tried just about anything but my acne seems to get worse and i have recently developed acne scars. Lately i have experienced severe hair loss, literally when i shower a lot of my hair just falls. After reading a few things about home remedies for Acne today, i came across an article that said that hair loss and acne can be a cause of adrenal gland disorder or polycystic ovary syndrome. I'm worried that i can have this or any problem in my ovaries since I have had 2 past surgeries due to cysts i had in my body and i have very irregular periods which i read could be symptoms for these problems. I don't know what i should do, should i visit my Dr.? The problem is that when i go to the Dr. they always tell me that i am in perfect conditions and nothing seems to be wrong but i don't think what's happening to me is normal. I've battled with acne for such a long time, if this could be a possible answer for the reason that i haven't been able to cure it, i would like to know if there's anything i can do to make it better such as medicine or home remedies that can help me cure from both acne and hair loss?
It is true that PCOS can cause irregular periods, cysts as well as hair loss. Diagnostic tests are 2 hr GTT,serum androgen and testosterone levels,LH-FSH ratio,prolactin levels,TSH levels,17-hydroxyprogesterone levels  and 3D ultrasound done. Hair fall can be caused if you have fever, stress, imbalanced diet, medications and hormonal changes. Here are some tips which you can take care of your hair. Eat a healthy balanced meal, sue mild shampoo and lather gently, rub gently with towel to dry your hair. Try and avoid using blow dryers and chemical to your hair. Style your hair only after it is dry as wet hair can break easily. If you have an improper diet I suggest you to take multivitamins
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I am also facing the same problems of hair loss and acne. Now I am using some medicated products after consulting with my doctor. I almost get rid of my acne problem.But my hair fall is not stopped till now.