Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
Ejaculation and Hair Loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

Ejaculation and Hair Loss

Hey just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

I think the frequency of your ejaculations plays a huge role in hair loss...
it's partly genetic, but also partly because of how many ejaculations you have... whether that be
from sex with a partner or just solo masturbation.

Now I don't think it's just sex itself... but the actual ejaculation process.

If I have been ejaculating like everyday... I get a funny tingling feeling in my scalp.
Does anyone else get this feeling too???  My hair line has receeded.. and in the front my hair is thinned out.

I think there's a huge correlation here.  Upon ejaculation a huge surge of testosterone is converted into DHT.

DHT in excess is the hormone responsible for hair loss.

Just wondering... thoughts? Anyone agree? Anyone else get the same tingling sensation.

And maybe someone can suggest what's a safe frequency of ejaculation.

I'm thinking 1-2 times a week to keep your hair... and no more.
I've seen your posts on the acne forum.  I was thinking that maybe the hormones that cause the acne are also causing the hair loss.  Now that your acne is under control with all your supplements and diet changes, the changes will have made your hormones shift (hopefully) and this will cause the hair follicles to open up wider (which is a good thing) and cause the hairs that have been shrinking due to DHT to fall out and HOPEFULLY allow new healthier hairs to grow in.  Just a theory with some logic behind it.
Comment in regard to this theroy; I had this discussion with a Physician friend of mine and he mentioned that your theroy may be correct.  I experimented with this theroy and have a family history of MPB.  I also had 3 successful hair transplants.  What I do notice with low sexual activity is that the texture and thickness of the hair changes for the better when abstaining from sexual activity.  My physician friend says that that is because (like you mentioned above) that there is a decrease in DHT production as well as a negative feedback mechanism of not having to produce as much testosterone for recovery after an ejaculation.
I have significantly reduced my ejaculation frequency from once every 2 or 3 days(Regularly) to once in 21 days (As of today.). So, this is going to be a small experiment which requires a lot of self control but i hope it will pay off in the long run. I had severe hair loss 2 months ago that drove me to strictly stop ejaculation though i do masturbate but don`t take it as far as ejaculation. I had nocturnal emission tonight. But i would consider it as a natural release rather than a forced sex drive. I feel much better and healthier since i had stopped ejaculating. From today, i`m planning to stop masturbation completely so that i won`t masturbate nor ejaculate, but let it to nature to decide when i should.

This would give me enough support to understand the work of masturbation on hair loss and stress and DHT in more detail.
Hey Man,

Did you end up cutting back on ejaculating?  If so, did you see an improvement in your hair?

I am 28 and have started to experience some shedding and more fine hair in the front area (2 years ago I had thick strands of hair).  I probably started to  ejaculated too many times per week since I was age 26-27, probably 9-12 times per week which my doctor said was fine.  Between 17-25 i limited my ejaculations to 2 times per week because I was boxing and doing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (now I know that may not help sports-but I thought it did).  Over the last 2 weeks I reduced ejaculating to 6 times per week (It helped that I made a Seinfeld style bet with among my friends to not watch porn except for once a month in 2011), and now that I am reading this stuff on DHT I am going to cut ejaculating down further to 3 times per week (which is gonna make me go nuts I'm assuming).  Also, I started washing with Nioxin and taking a multi-vitamin + fish oil as extra help.  Plus I started exercising hard again to get my mind off sex.  

Let me know your progress, or if you are going to try cutting back again.  I will keep you all posted if I see any difference over time.  If worse comes to worse I will have a shaved head in a couple years because I am not going to take those BS hair growth medications.
i am also suffering from same problem.. my hair is thinning specially in the crown area. and i think it is from masturbation.. since my frequency was very high. After i came to know about DHT  i have tried to reduce my ejaculation... though i masturbate sometimes,  without ejaculation. Currently i  ejaculate 2 times a week or sometimes 3. I am 22 yrs old and i too want to know if there is relation between hair loss and ejaculation. Also if its ok for my hair if i masturbate without ejaculation...  Plz help..!! :(
Yes I have experienced hair loss in the front of my head, developing a wider receding hair line, the tingly feeling, etc. the same way you have been.
And I read on a website that I'll give you as soon as I get home and find it.
It's a 3-4 paragraph of a guy talking about this exact same experience.
A doctor gets back to him and confirms what we are saying here about DHT stress hormone.
Hi all! I would recomend abstaining from mast.. but their is some thing u might want to use.
Stinging natelle contains a substance to reduce DHT. use it (apply and eat) or some medicine or shampoo that contains it.
I masturbate at least once a day, sometimes up to 2 or 3. And now that I think of it I get that tingly feeling on my head too. I always thought that was just something that came part and parcel with shaving your head.
Yes.  I am experiencing this very problem.  I use masturbate 2 to 3 times a day.  I get the tingly feeling in my scalp.  my hair is thinning signficantly and does not grow in thick and full.  

Also, I have noticed that my scalp is sore after each masturbation.  I have cut back on the frequency but admit it is hard to stop altogether.  Since cutting back, I have noticed some improvement in hair around the front hairline but rather small.
Yes, I agree there is a relationship between frequency of ejaculation and hair loss based on my own experience.  I believe their is a balance to be had......I think if you are going to ejaculate, it is OK to do it 2 times a week in the spring, 2 times a month in the summer and fall and I feel it is best not to ejaculate during the winter months.  I think the sperm in our bodies flows like the sap in trees according to the season....the sap is really flowing in the spring.  Sounds basic, but I think there is truth in this.  I feel we men need to share our experinces more around our ejaculatory habits....it is a powerful energy and I think there are times to hold onto it and times when it is perhaps OK to let it go!   I don't know for sure......I am certainly learning about my own sexual energy and it is ongoing of course.  I have read an eastern book that claims we need to resist the urge to ejaculate and learn techniques described in this book to circulate our male energy and achieve an orgasm without ejaculating that happens in our entire body...... which is apparently far superior than the orgasm we experience with ejaculatory sex that happens only in our penis.  Food for thought.
If I understand you and others who commented here, you are all saying that more ejaculations means more hair loss. In my case, I was experiencing the tingling feeling at forehead, or for me it seemed like top of my head on ejaculations, and I didn't think my hair loss was not a problem. A few months ago, the tingling has seemed to be greatly reduced and is no where near what it once was and I have noticed much more hair loss and thinning starting at the crown of my scalp. Now I don't know if the loss of tingling and hair loss is related. In other words my ejaculations and the tingling were part of the euphoric feeling of sexual release. I have lost that, and it seems I have  accelerated hair loss. My thoughts are is that losing this tingling is somehow, in my case, tied to my increased hair loss. The ejactulation is what it is, but "its the quality of the before sexual release", that has been lost. This lost tingling is the reason for my increased hair loss? I don't know? It would appear to be a hormonal thing that has changed for me and for all of us in this discussion? How to get it back to where it was, would be good. Anyone else feel the same way. or experience the same thing as me?