Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
Hair Loss (Bald Spots) Please Help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

Hair Loss (Bald Spots) Please Help

I am 19 Male

Is it Alopecia ? or ?? ??

I have been getting Bald Spots for the last 4 Years
They keep coming around during november-december and last till may - june
Whats causing this?
Why is it that inbetween the months of nov-dec I get this
I just got 4 more (This Mnth)
What can I do to solve this?
What Am I eating doing not doing?

Please help me.
if it is alopecia i have some information for you ...... i am 16 and have alopecia ....

What Is Alopecia Areata?
Alopecia areata is considered an autoimmune disease, in which the immune system, which is designed to protect the body from foreign invaders such as viruses and bacteria, mistakenly attacks the hair follicles, the tiny cup-shaped structures from which hairs grow. This can lead to hair loss on the scalp and elsewhere.

In most cases, hair falls out in small, round patches about the size of a quarter. In many cases, the disease does not extend beyond a few bare patches. In some people, hair loss is more extensive. Although uncommon, the disease can progress to cause total loss of hair on the head (referred to as alopecia areata totalis) or complete loss of hair on the head, face, and body (alopecia areata universalis).

What Causes It?
In alopecia areata, immune system cells called white blood cells attack the rapidly growing cells in the hair follicles that make the hair. The affected hair follicles become small and drastically slow down hair production. Fortunately, the stem cells that continuously supply the follicle with new cells do not seem to be targeted. So the follicle always has the potential to regrow hair.

Scientists do not know exactly why the hair follicles undergo these changes, but they suspect that a combination of genes may predispose some people to the disease. In those who are genetically predisposed, some type of trigger – perhaps a virus or something in the person’s environment – brings on the attack against the hair follicles.

What Can I Expect Next?
The course of alopecia areata is highly unpredictable, and the uncertainty of what will happen next is probably the most difficult and frustrating aspect of the disease. You may continue to lose hair, or your hair loss may stop. The hair you have lost may or may not grow back, and you may or may not continue to develop new bare patches.

if you have more questions please commment back.....i advise you to see a dermotologist..

Hi, You probably have Alopecia Areata. I was diagnosed with it when I was 9 because I had three huge bald spots. I got made fun of an awful lot for it but eventually it went away on its own. I still have a spot where the hair never grew back but it is hardly noticeable. You should probably see a dermatologist.