Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
Hair loss and itchy, tingling scalp

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

Hair loss and itchy, tingling scalp

Could stress cause my head to itch and tingle (and lose hair) or is my hair loss related to some other medical problem?
I am also trying to solve this problem,mine is at the back of my head ,it came on after Dental treatment last year, anyone any ideas how to soothe it and what may cause it?
I have the same problem and have noticed alot of thinning, my head is tingly/itchy and driving me mad, for some reason I have a small bald patch and the new hair growing out of it is crinkled and standing up all over the place in desperation of help too
I am going to google this again I will let you guys know if I find out why, it must be an allergy I guess, Ihave tried all differant "Free " shampoos.
I put this onto the Allergy Forum and the Doc said it could be' Telegen Effuvium' you may want to google it I found his information interesting I am going to my health Food store later to see if I can get a supplement as I am really not wanting to go the way of steroids .I am still trying to find out if one of the symptoms is itching and burning scalp as they mostly talk about hair loss. Sounds like Trauma could bring it on, thats correct in my case.
Thanks for the info Margypops.  I've read up on it a bit and it is basically the technical term for hair loss caused by physical or mental trama.  Nothing about sensitive scalp though.  I've been using Nixoin for about 2-1/2 months, plus getting low laser treatments.  At first I notices hair coming back... not sure it was Nioxin or the treatment.  Now, I'm seeing significant hair loss again and of course I'm getting a little crazy worrying about it... which is probably causing more hair loss.  If I could just sooth my scalp so it doesn't itch, tingle or hurt... then I wouldn't think about it so much and the stress would go away and hopefully my hair will come back.
i kow what you mean it didnt say anything about irritated scalp,so I am still searching keep in touch with anything new you find, out of interest I live IN CA and we have tons of allergies what state do you live in?
I have just been through the other threads an awful lot of us live In California, they spray stuff to get rid os Mosquitos here ,could there be any connection?
Allergic reaction I mean
my hair loss has been accompanied by itching and dandruff- which, I've never had before.
It's been falling out for almost a year- I now have to wear a weave.

I've been to two GPs and two Dermatologists- no one seems to know what is wrong with me. I hope you find a solution to your problem... maybe we have the same issue.

I have found out since my last post that some of the hair loss could be caused by autoimmune problems, ie Lyme disease, Thyroid, my hair loss slows down sometimes then pops up again. Have you any other symptoms beside the hair loss.
When it itches, scratch it... not furiously, but for a few seconds. get sunlight as this would help the new epidermis layer/cells created by hyperproliferation which brings dandruff. This is body's defense system, oh when oh when will science learn.
i'm messed up, not sure if you should read.

when i was in an mental institution. in a few weeks, started loosing hair and gaining severe weight (btw got adhd, and very messed up)
i'd like to call this the battering ram sindrome (syndrome)...
i think it happens all the time.
well about 20 months later and I still get it, but it has a pattern...it itches still then stops for a while then starts up again ...I am trying any shampoos that are hypoallergenic it soothes it for a day or so .
I am certain now my scalp irritation is caused by PPD   para- phenylenediamine   it is in hair colorants ...I have stopped using it and the itch is stopping ....I am googling to find a ppd free colorant
After prolonged stress a few years ago I experienced several of these symptoms and more. At one point I couldnt sleep from all the sympotms including insomnia.  Here is what I discovered through a holistic nutritionist, time, testing my diet and research:

Causes of hair loss related to itching, tingling and then loss include; emotional stress, trauma, malnutrition, yeast overgrowth (candida), lack of rest and tight hair styles.

DO NOT scratch your scalp.  If you notice, after you scratch you will find hair loss follows in days.  If any of the above causes are an issue for you, then try to address them as much as possible.  For the yeast overgrowth STAY AWAY from bread, pasta, carbs, sugar etc. and try to reduce eating processed foods.  Do not pull your hair too tightly - this only stresses the follicles even more. Don't let your hair go too many days without washing it.  The dirt will build up and the itching will get worse.

DO increase your Vitamin D3 intake. For those who live in warmer climates soak up the sunlight.  Use organic hair care products if possible.  I now use Bee Mine hair products (not associated with them, I just did a lot of research and am happy with their results).   If you add yogurt (non-flavored organic is best - try Whole Foods 365 brand) to your scalp and leave it in before washing and you notice a lot of flakes then it could be yeast related.  This should also provide some relief if you have intense itching.  Sour kraut is a great internal combat for yeast overgrowth and Standard Process has an excellent program to cleanse from yeast.

Helpful ingredients for healthy hair include:
Olive Oil, Vitamin E, avocados, rosemary, tea tree, Coconuts (flakes, oil, water), real castor oil (massaged into scalp twice a week (especially hair line), plenty of water. CIRCULATION - your hair follicles need to receive nutrients through your blood stream.  For stress consider taking supplements that are good for adrenal support and/or increase your magnesium intake.

I also found walking, meditation and prayer helped me out a lot.  All of these help calm our minds and give us hope and peace.  You need to create a balance in your life: physical, emotional, spiritual and as much as possible in your lifestyle.  

I hope and pray this information helps everyone who reads it. It did wonders for me. Take care and God bless.
Excellent & thorough reply Alana J.
My itchy scalp has more or less stopped I am using sulfite free shampooo
well I have been trying to cut back on sulfites in shampoos and food ..I am definatly thinking it is environmental now , we have so many chem trails and spraying going on ..I had all tests done for Lyme and Thyroid..all negative Any one else having any luck ..my hair not too bad now and loss has eased off PS one other thing happened when this started they put a 'smart meter 'into our houses ..and I get Tinnitus from the buzzing it creates .
Thank you so much this was very helpful. I have been suffering with this for a few years now. Tingling itching then hair loss :(
To make the hair grow quicker massage any herbal oil like vatika, almond or amla oil in the hair with your hands to boost up the blood circulation in the hair folicules. It works like a charm and improves the hair to grow faster preventing to fall off and the bald patches.

Once you have oil in your head, leave the oil for at least 1 or 2 weeks avoid taking shower so that the oil can deeply be contact with the hair to promote growth, keep your hair loose not tight ponytails or other tight styles and try to eat healthy.

You will see the difference then and it will relieve you. Then rinse your hair with a simple shampoo like patene pro v or loreal kids thats what i like and use.

Once you take a shower and washed your hair wait a day 1 or 2 and repeat the oils in the hair again.

You will start noticing hair pores growing back and they will look like small oily pores with tiny hairs growing they will graduly grow and fill the patch up with hair.

I hope this best advice helps you all out because it does WORK and I got experience from it. Had the same been there done that passed it and happy with the results,

Its abit like having the garden full of grass if you didnt water it or give sunlight it didnt grow it died. Same with the hair oil has all the nurishments to help the hair grow healthy.

Well good advice but  when i massage more hair gets break and its difficult to leave oil for 1 week as we have to go to office.
Diffused hair loss can also be brought on by beta-blockers (Metoprolal was the one that caused mine), some thyroid meds, and quite a list of other meds. According to my MD, if you can pinpoint an "event" (trauma, surgery, meds, etc.) that happened about 3 months prior to the start of hair loss, then it's likely TE.  My hair loss started almost 3 months to the day after beginning Metoprolal.  It's now almost a year later and I'm still dealing with the loss - it slows down a bit (just a little - less than 60 hairs per day, less than 350 per shampooing/combing/drying), then it kicks up again (100+ hairs per day, 500+ per shampooing ritual).  And, yes, I know when I'm about to have a bigger shed b/c my scalp itches.  Told my husband that I feel like I have fleas!  The itching is limited to my crown - which is where my hair is the thinnest now.  My MD said that TE can take up to a year to begin to resolve itself... unless it become Chronic TE.  I've been off of Metoprolal since Aug.28, 2012, so I'm hoping for some significant, positive changes within a month or two.  In the meantime, I take biotin, omega-3, iron, zinc, magnesium, D3, and coq10, and eat foods rich in good nutrients.  I use a zinc shampoo that cleans well, but not harshly.  And, I pray a lot.  
I am having the same issues. How is your hairless going? Did you have a biopsy?
I'm 34, female & am loosing my hair rapidly in the last 2 monthes. I have bumps/ pimples on my head, maybe they have always been there but now I'm so focused on my head. I have tingling sedation & like I said my hair is falling out at the seams! I am freaking the F out. Anyone had similar symptoms & resolutions? I'm terrified!
Oiling your hair once in a week at-least. After oiling your hair leave it for 1day. and then wash your hair.

Use Amla(Phyllanthus emblica) in your daily diet. Eat healthy food.

You can also massage your hair with curd and leave it for 1 hour then wash your hair properly. Curd is used for hair conditioning.

Hope this advice will help you.