Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
Hair loss due to iron deficiency

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

Hair loss due to iron deficiency

Hi I am hoping someone can help me. Please take the time to read my story. i am a 26 year old femald. One year ago I started to have hair loss mostly all over but more on the front and sides of my head. So I went to the doctor and had blood tests taken. The results came back and I found out I was low on iron ( my ferritin level was 7) the doctor said it should be about 40. I was also very low on vitamin D. So for the past year I have been taken iron liquid and eating iron rich foods, I eat red meat 5 times a week. I also take vitamin D tablets. So in the past year my iron has gone up to 31 and my vitamin D is normal now. But here is my problem even though the level has gone up my hair is still thin and I'm still losing hair anywhere from 100-200 hair days I know because I have counted them. Now also I have bipolar disorder type 2, and borderline personality disorder. I was taken lithium but I did my research and found out that thinning brittle hair is a side effect so I stopped taking it, I have been off of it for 8 months. I also was taking 30mg of an antidepressant leapfrog but have cut my dose down to 15mg because I found out that not only does it cause hair loss but can also cause animea even though it says its rare. So now I 600 mg of aero quell which is an antipsychotic. So my question is why is my hair still thin and not seeing much regrowth I get about 1/2 cm every 5-6 weeks but it mounts to nothing really because my hair on the ends is so then and keep having to get it cut because its so thin. What should I do, should I see I specialist ? Any help would bevery much appreciated.
Ok so I ment LEXAPRO
And SEROQUEL
your symptoms can be due to telogen effluvium. The growth cycle of hair is in two phases, anagen or growth phase and telogen or resting phase. During stress or when the immune system of the body is lowered many hair enter the telogen phase at the same time and can be shed. Hair takes between 3 and 6 months to re-enter into growth phase, so the restoration is a bit slow.

Eat a healthy balanced meal, use mild shampoo and lather gently and rub gently with towel to dry his hair. Try and avoid using blow dryers. Biotin is present in foods like eggs and liver. So in addition to these foods, biotin supplements can be taken after a trichologist’s prescription.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.