Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
Hair regrowth after Metoprolol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

Hair regrowth after Metoprolol

I was put on 25 mg Metoprolol (12.5mg 2x per day) on April 4, 2012 for a multicfocal atrial tachycardia event  (lasted a day).  Echocardiogram showed that my heart is in great shape.  All was finew/ the Metoprolol (no side effects) until late July when I started losing LOTS of hair (300-400 hairs per shampooing; "normal" shedding of 75-125 when not shampooing) and now my previously thick, shiny hair is thinning rapidly and dull. My eyelashes are also falling out, but not as rapidly as the hair on my head. (I also started having insomnia and leg cramps at night.)My MD is in the process of weaning me from the drug - 12.5mg 1x per day for 10 days, now (beginning today) 12.5mg every other day.  From what I've read, I'm suffering from telogen effluvium - although my MD is reluctant to blame the drug.  I should be weaned from it w/i 10-12 more days. So, my questions:  1) How long will it tke - approximately, I realize - for regrowth of my hair? 2) Are there vitamin supplements, shampoos, meds, etc. that can help reduce the shedding and encourage regrowth?  I am quite stressed out about the hair loss (especially since it's not abating) and would appreciate any help.  Thank you.
Hair loss is not a common side effect of beta blockers. However for telogen effluvium, you need to pay attention to your diet. Your hair needs vitamins and minerals to grow that it can only get from the bloodstream. So if you want to speed up your hair growth and thickness you should limit the intake of fat and salts. Selenium, zinc and magnesium are some of the minerals that your hair needs and also amino acids and vitamin E will help in growing hairs. You can regularly massage scalp with oil, use protein conditioner to avoid loss and help growing, prevent exposure in hot sun etc.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you, Dr. Kaur, for taking the time to reply to my post.  (I did reply already to your post, but I must've forgotten to sign in to the site b/c that post isn't here.)  My dermatologist and cardiologist both agree that my TE is the result of the Metoprolol.  So, it s now a waiting game for me... I have been taking Biotin (1500 mcg), zinc (30mg), D3 (400IU), magnesium (250 2x per day), and CoQ10 (30mg).  As for my diet, I've always limited my fat and salt intake - I don't eat beef, lamb, pork, so get my protein from fish, chicken, turkey, legumes, and tofu. I also wash my hair with DHS shampoo - dermatologist recommended for scalp health.  Alas, the hair continutes to fall out - I've only removed the "trigger" (Metoprolol) since August 28 - so I'm learning how to use mascara on the hairs in the widening part to make the hairs look fuller!  Yes, it's definitely stressful watching the TE happen, but yoga and accupuncture is helping, too.  Again, thank you for taking your time, Doctor, to offer your counsel.
I just want to note that I am 27 years old and was put on Metroprolol for my shakiness in my hands back in June of this year. I have always had thin hair and cowlicks - so when my hair started looking thin, I was concerned but thought maybe I just wasn't taking care of it well enough. But it has gotten so bad now that I know it is not normal at all. I have no history of balding in my family either and I have never had this problem before. My mom and I started looking for the cause - I have had stress, and I recently got back on birth control. But the birth control turns out to have none of the hormone that causes hair loss (and I was on the same pill for 6 years and never had this problem before). I was able to trace the significant hair loss back to the beta blocker. I have stopped the medicine, even though I was only taking it about 5 times a weeks at most. Upon researching online, I found I'm not the only one with this problem and am shocked they list it as only a "RARE" side effect. Does anyone know how long it will take for my hair to grow back?
Why do doctors persist in denying that Metoprolol and similar beta blockers cause hair loss? Do they really NOT KNOW or are they just oblivious and uncaring to the devastation that these meds cause?
P.S.  It says right in the accompanying medication leaflet that Metoprolol/Toprol can cause hair loss; and a cursory search online will find dozens and dozens of complaints about the hair thinning side-effect of this drug. And yet almost every time a person complains to their doctor about this side-effect, the doctor responds with "I've never heard of that being a side-effect" or "It's probably stress or diet" and so on. Either their patients have not yet put 2 and 2 together and realized that they're losing hair because of their medication and reported this to their physician, or the doctors are NOT LISTENING.  All patients who are suffering hair loss as a result of any medication should contact the FDA  (1-800-FDA-1088) and report their hair loss problem, so that drug companies and doctors get educated about the harmful side-effects of these drugs--and find the cause and find a solution. (And yes, losing your hair IS a harmful "big deal," especially if you happen to be female.)
This is big pharm negligence! Thank you for your honesty.

People need to know the TRUTH about these drugs.

The whole paradigm of medicine in America needs to be remodeled from the inside out.

Hippocratic oath!!!!
I too have been experiencing the shock of increasing rapid hair loss and thinning hair after a few months on metoprolol.  My Dr. says he never heard of the side effect.  The information and warning sheet that is provided with my prescriptions by all pharmacies  did not list a single side effect as they did with everyone of me other RX's. The entire info sheet was instead devoted to telling you not to stop taking the drug without a tapering off plan.  When I called my pharmacist to ask how to taper off, I was told her information source did not cover titrating off the drug. I was told I had to talk to my doctor.

In the past I had taken Rejuvicare  Hair and Nail for my nails peeling.  It really helped and a side effect for me was that my hair started growing rapidly.  I am using that as one of my 1st home remedies. I am adding additional nutrients to my attempt to restore my hair growth omega 3, B-complex and trying to eat extra healthfully.  It will take time to monitor
results.

Stardotter
Follow up to my original post: In July, it'll be 2 full years since the onset of my hair shedding - and it's still happening! I lose brow hairs, lashes, nasal hairs, and hair on the rest of my body is sparser.  My hairs still grow, however, just not as they should... and they fall out before they should.  I now use Latisse for my lashes, for my brows (off label), and for the part in my hair.  Thankfully, the results are good. I also use Regenepure shampoo, DHS shampoo, and take the recommended vitamins and supplements.  I do not use Minoxidil b/c I'm concerned about heart palpitations... and do NOT want to have to get back on a beta blocker! I've also had every blood test imaginable.  So far, I'm a bit deficient in vitamin D, so was told to take 2000 IU per day.  My thyroid levels were a bit high in the fall, but dropped to "normal" at my next blood test (from 3.30 to 1.65).  I plan to follow up w/an endocrinologist in the fall. One MD said that the effects of Metopolol could still be causing the hair loss - but I find that hard to believe.  Anyhow, since I was blessed with a lot of thick hair, my shedding isn't really noticeable to anyone but me... even though I lose 45-80 hairs per day and usually 250-550 per shampooing/drying, I "average" between 125-165 hairs lost per day when all is factored in.  Don't know when this will end, but pray that it won't go on much longer b/c seeing piles of hair in the sink is so depressing and hard to take.  If I discover (through my MDs or on my own) an answer to my issues, I will be sure to post it here.  Good luck to us all!
Metoprolol DOES cause hair loss [alopecia] and any doctor who tells you otherwise is incompetent to disregard facts. One thing I did was to split the 50mg dose into 8 pieces and only dosed upon blood pressure getting high again as that was the reason for the medication in the first place.  

Then I stopped altogether and changed to another BP medication, DILTIAZEM ER 120mg once per day [SID]  Again, I cannot split this as it is an Rx capsule, so I only dose when my blood pressure begins to increase. I monitor my BP several times per day to assess efficacy and according to the MAYO CLINIC, there are no reports of hair loss. Time will tell.

I stopped taking Metoprolol as of July 1, 2014 so too early to determine if hair loss is at all reversed or will continue due to the trigger of Metoprolol.

Addtionally, Amlodipine is also a BP medication that causes hair loss so be aware.

Vitamin D is a necessary addition for your health so get it from the sun, more effective than commercial pills/capsules. Eat lots of celery, carrots, fruits, especially apples.

I will update as time progresses to determine the effects of my current prescribed medication on blood pressure [and hair loss, if any].
I was put Metoprolol in November after a heart attack.  I've always had very thick head of hair. During the pass two months all of the hair in the front of my head have fallen out! It's as bald as a baby's butt! The rest of my thinck hair is thinning, brittle, and falling out! I showed my head to my doctor a week ago and all he said was, " That's not good"  Nothing more! I came on here today to Google all my med and hair loss, and came across many pages of hair loss from Metoprolol. What can be done about this medicine and the loss of my hair?  I can't walk around bald headed!
Thanks for your comments.   I had a full head of hair for all my life... but since I’ve been on Lopressor,  the past year I have noticed a depressing amount of hair loss.  Maybe it’s just genetics, but suspect it’s the Lopressor.   My BP is good and not overweight (just a few  pounds)   I emailed my MD today and told him about and possibly going on a ACE inhibitor like Lisinipril.
I will be anxious see how my scalp responds in a month or two.   It’s just depressing to see hair fall all over my laptop.
Why do you think they do? $$$$. In this country, the way patients are treated is very simple; DRUGS are given by doctors to mask the symptoms and to give the patient the illusion they are getting "better" or that their illness/affliction is under control. Doctors are not interested in "curing" people. That would be the end of this broken system as we know it. They are mainly focused on keeping people confortable enough so they have to live hooked on drugs - prescription drugs - what a scam!  I am a heart attack survivor who has gone through an army of different doctors and have seen it/heard it all. I have been humiliated, insulted, belittled and put down by most of them (As one told me; "Who is the doctor? Arrggg!!!)  because I ask questions, A LOT of them, I speak up and demand clear answers and I refuse to follow their advise blindly without looking for alternatives. Do yourself a favor and become your own advocate. Investigate, research and do your homework before becoming another guinea pig for the pharmaceutical companies.