Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
Itching and hair loss/thinning

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

Itching and hair loss/thinning

I have a problem with my scalp/hair that has been going on for almost two years. I am a 28 y/o male
I am losing hair and it is thinning at: my front hairline and on the top/crown only.  My scalp in these areas becomes: very oily, appears pink in color and itches uncontrollably at times.  The hair that falls out is always from these areas as well and contain a small sebum plug on the hair follicle. Other times where the area itches I find yellowish sebum plugs right where it itches. I also have several rud bumps on my scalp in this same area as well.
What is going on and how do I stop it?
These symptoms can be due to seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrheic dermatitis is a common skin condition that causes flaky,dry, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas esp under the nose or anywhere on face. You can treat flaking and dryness with over-the-counter dandruff or medicated shampoos. Shampoo the hair vigorously and frequently (preferably daily). Active ingredients in these shampoos include salicylic acid, coal tar, zinc, resorcin, ketoconazole, or selenium.

If the symptoms persist, then it would be best to get it confirmed from a dermatologist

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.