Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
Malnutrition and Hairloss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

Malnutrition and Hairloss

Hi, I am a student with 20 years of age and I noticed my hair became thinner just after my 3months of being in my on the Job Training.

It all started October last year when I started my On the Job Training as a requirement for school. I weighed 260 pounds then which is too much for my 6'1 frame. I looked bulky then and as the 3 months went by, I usually eat only 1 meal a day, which is lunch (I seldom eat dinner and I never get to eat breakfast) because of financial constraints. I started noticing my hair getting thinner during December and I just went on with that regime until I finished my OJT. I finished OJT at January and I noticed that I my thinning hair got worse and whenever I showered, clumps of hair would be on my hands after applying shampoo to my hair.

I came home at around last week of January, weighing 227 and still had problems with my hair. I don't know if it was in genes or malnutrition because I only ate once a day during the whole duration of my On the Job Training and I do not know if it was genes or malnutrition. Before my OJT, I had good hair and I was even using Hair wax to style my hair ( I started 4 years ago) and there were no signs of thinning or loosing hair.

I wanted to know what I should do and what I shouldn't do because now these are what I do almost everyday:
- eat 3 meals a day
- work out at the gym and jog at different days of the week
- still use shampoo
- I don't take multi vitamins
- sometimes stay up late

I would appreciate help from your answers and many who had the same problem as me would do too :)
and to add, I also smoke for 4 years now.
You should eat atleast three meals a day. Ideally you should take small meals at frequent intervals. Eat a healthy balanced meal, use mild shampoo and lather gently, rub gently with towel to dry your hair. Try and avoid using blow dryers and chemical to your hair. Your hair needs vitamins and minerals to grow that it can only get from the bloodstream. So if you want to speed up your hair growth and thickness you should limit the intake of fat and salts. Selenium, zinc and magnesium are some of the minerals that your hair needs and also amino acids and vitamin E will help in growing hairs. You can regularly massage scalp with oil, use protein conditioner to avoid loss and help growing, prevent exposure in hot sun etc. Also avoid waking up late at night and stop smoking.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.