Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
Prilosec Causing Hairloss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

Prilosec Causing Hairloss

I have been taking prilosec for about several years now and have been experiencing continuous hair loss. It took awhile before realizing it was a side effect from the prilosec.  I have been finding hair in my nightgowns etc.  I unfortunately cannot go off the medicine and therefore was thinking about switching to aciphex. While researching the aciphex I found that it may cause hair loss as well.  Is anyone familiar with or experiencing hair loss associated with either of these medications?
Tags: Prilosec/Hair Loss, prilosec/hairloss
Hair loss is a rare side effect of Prilosec. Prilosec contains omeprazole and is used for gastritis and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux). Eat small nutritious meals at frequent intervals instead of a heavy single meal. Exercise frequently and take your dinner atleast 2 hrs prior to bedtime. Also raise the head end of the bed by 2 blocks.

You can also take some antacid like Maalox and Mylanta or medications like zantac after consulting your doctor.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.