Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
Thin hair after chemotherapy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Thin hair after chemotherapy

When I was 15, I was diagnosed with bone cancer and had to undergo chemotherapy and surgery. I had thick and long hair which all fell out. After chemo, my hair started to grow in really thin and like baby hair, which was cute at the time, but now 7 years on it is still thin, gets greasy quickly and really frustrates me. I know I shouldn't care, I'm lucky to be alive, but it does get to me when people I don't know point it out.

For the past couple of years I have noticed small tufts of hair, which at first I was really excited about, but they don't seem to be thickening my hair any. They are so thin and light that you can only see them close up and when my hair is clean.

My hair is ~8-10" long and the tufts between 1/2" and 2". I don't really notice much hair loss, but it just won't thicken. My hair is so fine and light that you can see right through to my scalp and the only solution I can think of which seems to work is to darken my hair with temporary treatments.

Is there anything I can do?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
757137_tn?1347200053
Try taking BioSil (a bioavailable form of silicon). My daughters and I take it and our hair, nails, and skin are much improved.
Blank
466764_tn?1206992380
Thanks for the suggestion. My skin is fine really and my nails grow too quickly as it is. But I'll try it anyway. How long 'til you noticed results?

I've also been looking into Rogaine. I realise it's not a cure-all, but I'm wondering if it does work will I require to keep using it to prevent any "new" hairs falling out? As I stated before, I don't really notice much/any hair loss at the moment, it's just that my hair was left thin after chemo. Would the hairs still fall out given my situation?
Blank
Hi I'm 23 and had chemo 8 years ago which has resulted with the exact same thin hair as you described... Have you found anything that helps there doesn't seem to be much information about this. Thanks!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank