Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
hair breaking and hair thinning PLEASE HELP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

hi i am 25 year old female. about 6 months ago i lost alot of hair it was long about 5 inches past my color bone, but alot broke off and thinned out so i had to get it cut to my color bone. i found out i was iron  deficient and vitamin d deficient my doctor said this would have caused my hair loss. i have been taking supplements for about 5 months now. i also have biploar disorder and i was taking lithium but i read that it can cause thinning brittle hair so i stopped taking it. i now take seroquel instead. what im worried about is that my hair is not growing back. its probably grown about 6 cms but i have really only gained 3cm because i have had to get trims to even it out. i read on the internet that hair only grows to a certain length and it only grows in the growing stage from 2-7 years then falls out and starts again. im worried that i have had my chance at having long hair and its stopped growing.is this true?? im really depressed because its been almost 7months and though the back has grown the sides havnt i look awful. i wear clip in extensions when i see people to make me look how i used to. i am takin b vitamins,vitamin d,vitamin e, zinc, magnesium,folic acid,biotin,silca,msm,fish oil,evening primrose oil. using coconut oil,jojobaba oil and essentail oils massging my head. i only wash my hair twice a week.
Hi!
Well yes, the hair grows for 2-7 years and then it is shed and a new hair grows. However, all the hair do not grow at the same time nor are they shed at the same time. So at each instant you will have some hair growing and some falling. In the natural process this growth and shedding is maintained in such a way that the usual thickness is maintained. Split hair can be treated only by trimming. You can avoid spit ends by avoiding thermal, chemical or mechanical stress caused by using hard brush on tangled hair, curlers, perms, hair straightening etc. In your case you need to maintain the right multivitamin and iron balance in the body along with vitamin D balance. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!
I'm  a 54 yr. old female and for 2 yrs.now my hair got sooo thin and fell out on the sides and on the top I look like a chemo patient!! I'm on synthroid 50mgs. but the last blood test I had was normal and my thyroid levels were fine. My testrosterone level was only 6 %  higher than it should be,I will not go out I'm so embarassed, I look soo old I can't dye my hair because its so thin and I have some hair growin on top but when it starts to grow it gets extremely thin then falls out.... It is so unhealthy!!! Please help I can't go on this way and I won't wear a wig!!!! Please give me some advice it will be deeply appreciated!! Joannf54
I know this is an old post but I just saw it and wanted to respond. I don't know why your hair is falling out but since you take synthroid that says you must have issues with your thyroid. Have you seen an endocrinologist for an evaluation? Perhaps you have something out of whack with your thyroid and an endo would be the best type of doctor to evaluate issues concerning your thyroid. Most of them will be extremely busy (supposedly there is a shortage of docs with that specialty). I know your husband is ill and I am also wondering if you could have alopecia areata (hair loss related to severe stress). Do you have a family history women with hair loss. I can imagine how upsetting it is. I have had hair loss due to interferon and it is not funny. You might also try the Age Defy Products from Olay. I was really impressed by that whole line of products for the hair. Walmart has it. Good luck!
G
again, i know this is an old post but just wondering how you're getting on. keep us updated
Hi just saw your post, thought I would give you an update. My hair has grown a little bit. Some of its growing in certain areas and some is still shorter. My right side is thicker and longer then my left. So I just wear my hair up as I don't want to straighten it and make it worse because it is dry. I am treating it with organic products. I just wish it would grow even. I wish I could just feel better about it and not care. But I don't know how to not worry about it. I have been reading all this information about hair reaching a terminal length and other girls who have lost hair and it hasn't grown back. I don't know what to do if that's me.
How are you feeling now, a year on??