Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
post accutane skin dryness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

post accutane skin dryness

Dear Doctor, Why does so many people ask if accutane ages your skin? I also feel that it had dried out my skin for several years, is this due to a high dosage? My skin was never really dry before I took the medicine. Doctors keeps saying it must be something else, but then why do so many people complain? And if so, will it wear off? I know that the same derivative of vitamin A is used for anti-ageing in creams and such. However, how can something that dries out your skin so badly, have an anti-ageing effect as some claim? does it kill the over-active oil glands or shrink them? I have a very fragile and dry skin now and I am healthy and drink lots of water and eat fish. I've been 5 years off the pill. I've heard it can change your hair too and I'm noticing grey hairs which I relate to the pill. If it changes the oil glands, then most likely it affects hair too because they are connected. Anyway, hope you can clear this up for me? Is it possible some of the medicine is still in my skin cells, or has it permanently damaged my oil glands? Thanks.
Accutane does not remain in the body for so long. It looks like dry skin. Dry skin results when there is not enough water in the stratum corneum for it to function properly. Too much soapy water, exposure to harsh chemicals, the normal aging process and certain types of skin diseases are some of the causes of decreased amounts of protective skin oils which in turn causes dry skin.

The mainstay of management is liberal use of moisturizers after washing with luke warm water. Soap should be used minimally. Moisturizers should be reapplied liberally during the day.You can also use a topical cortisone (steroid) cream or ointment like dermacort(hydrocortisone). Adding a humidifier to the central heating system of your home or using a humidifier also helps.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.