Hair Loss (Alopecia) Community
thining hair on 20yr old female

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Hair Loss (Alopecia).

thining hair on 20yr old female

Just recently notied my hair is not as full bodied as before, my hair is thinning out like crazy and im afaird that soon I will look like I abuse drugs (which I currently, and never have, done). In order to fix this I thoufht it was my hair products, but there was no difference. im not sure where to link this to, other than the stressers of just moving out and living on my own for the first time. Aswell, I am a social smoker and have haultedb this because I thought they might be linked.. Please resond, would like to know more
Hi!
To treat thinning of hair you have to first find its cause. Iron deficiency is the commonest cause of hair loss. Iron deficiency can be due to poor intake or poor absorption or due to hidden loss from bleeding as is seen in UTI and gut problems like IBS. The cause of anemia has to be found out by various blood tests. Iron replacement along with diet rich in iron and hemoglobin should be given. Please consult a hematologist if iron deficiency is detected. Hair loss can also be due to dandruff, dermatitis, shampoos, oils, soaps, dust and dirt etc. Thyroid disorders and diabetes too could be a cause. Insomnia, stress and anxiety along with poor diet and excess of caffeine too can be the cause.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!
How have you been getting on? I would recommend visiting a dermatologist, just to check out if there is an underlying hair loss disorder - best to be safe
Hi I am a female 26 years old and the same happened to me. I woke up one day and noticed I was loseing hair every where. I had to get it cut shorter and now use clip in hair extensions. I found out I had low iron and low vitamin d. I also checked the medicine I was on and found out that causes hair loss. I was on lithium. I would defiantly get a blood test done and check the side effects of any medications you are on. Also stop colouring and straighting or blow drying your hair if you do any of those things. I stopped it all and I know it's hard but I am desperately trying to grow my hair back and don't want to take any chances.
Did the clips in not cause further hair loss? I've heard that they can