16 year old brain injury, and a recent fall
I suffered an extended anoxic/hypoxic brain injury 16 years ago following a 6 hour hypothermia (20 degrees celsius when found). The cold caused my cardiac arrest, but also probably helped saved my life. Anyway I have some memory problems, dysarthric speech, and left sided weakness. About two months ago, I was waking to a library, where I volunteer. I was rushing, and my left foot tripped on a sidewalk. I went head first into, some steps, and required 17 stitches, on my face, and forehead. My memory, and thinking ability was only affected for a couple of days, but I must have injured my neck when I fell, because it was very sore, and still is. I also had headaches for the first two weeks, and they were all at the place where my neck, joins my head on the left side. Although I didn't have problems, the first month, my left arm, has become more stiff, and sore as time passes, and my speech is also harder to use. Do you think that I re-injured my brain, or could it be my neck or back that is causing my knew muscle problems? A friend of mine, who also has both a brain injury, and is a nurse, said I should probably see an orthopedic specialist, or a physiologist first. Hopefully I can then get a referral for Physical Therapy. Does this seem like the right direction to go in?
Hi!
Well, yes, you need to consult a doctor, but preferably a neurologist because you have neurological issues more than bone ones. Even if there is a neck injury, there is some compression on nerves, which can be best assessed by a neurologist. Well, you will need physical therapy, but before that you must get a brain and cervical spine MRI. Please try and set up an appointment with a neurologist. Take care!