2 months after injury
My son has had massive Traumatic Skull injury, he was 13 days in a coma, in the regional brain injuries unit for 3 weeks. Local intensive care unit for a futher 4 weeks.
Now (thank God) hes recovering and awaiting a place in a rehab centre.
He can walk, talk quite well, but is very confused at the moment, hes in a sid eroom, on a surgical ward while he waits to be moved.
My question is that Ive been told he cant go to the rehab centre while he is so confused, has no short term memory and is suffering from post traumatic amnesia.
Ive been told by health care proffesionals careing for him that .........
a) he should have as few visitors as possible, only trusted family members, as he is easily confused. No more than 2 or 3 people that he can trust and rebuild an empathy with
b) He should see as many people as possible, hes bored "stuck" in hospital and as many of his friends visiting as possible would be good for him.
Im at my wits end and have fallen out with many family and friends over this
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
You do appear to be getting conflicting instructions. What healthcare professionals tell you is a generalized comment for a particular disease. The instructions do vary with case. In your son's case, since he is go confused, it may be a good idea to slowly get him to meet people. Memory games and other such activities may help. However, what I suggest id that your see his psycho-therapist, or his neuro-pyschiatrist and see what they recommend. Usually such instructions like 'limit visitors' are written on the patient's chart. You may gain information from that as well. Take care!