20 month old with old bleeding and fluid on the brain
My 20 month old son had a seizure a few weeks back and we rushed him to the hospital, they did a CT scan and found that he had old bleeding on the brain. They then transfered him to another hospital who did a MRI and they found that he had fluid on the brain with also old subdural bleeding on the brain. They did a EEG, Echo and also a Chest X-ray. Each showed nothing on them. My son was born premature at 32 weeks with Esophageal Atresia with a large gap. He had corrective surgery in Aug. of 2010. While in the hospital he began to have respitory problems so he was put on the vent. He stayed on the vent for 2 weeks. He has been on the vent for a total of 6 times with the longest amount of time on it for 2 weeks. I am trying to find out what is going on with my son. When asking questions about what could be a cause of either or they really could not give me any answers. Can someone please give me some possible causes for these two so I can know what steps to further take and what direction we should be going in. thank you.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
I am so sorry to hear about your son. In small children, it is possible to have a subdural bleed go unnoticed if it is not large. This then draws in fluid due to osmosis and start causing pressure symptoms and seizures. If your son received anticoagulant therapy during previous surgeries—say to prevent veins from getting thrombosed, then this could be a cause. A fall, gone unnoticed or not causing any symptoms then could be another cause. Please consult a pediatric neurologist for this. Take care!