Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
5 days after head trauma can a child get fever then hypothermia?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

My grandson, 8 years old, was playing at school and was swinging on a hand rail when his hands slipped off the railing and he hit the back of his head on the corner of a cement curb that was under the steel handrail.  I do not know if he fell unconscious but when I got to the school he had been heavily bleeding, sweating profusely, looked pale, a little slow to react and felt nauseous. At the ER his pulse was 55 to 59 and his blood pressure was very low for his age.  He complained a little later that he had a real bad headache, his neck hurt and his eyes were blurry. He seemed to get a runny nose shortly after but maybe he is getting a cold.

Emerg sent him home with a sheet on how to treat at home and what to look for in the next 24 hours.  He seemed ok over night and the next day he said his neck was really sore.  I asked my daughter to take him in to see his doctor and ask if his injury warranted an x-ray just to be sure.  No x-ray was ordered and he was sent home.

About 5 days later mom was called from school saying that my grandson was not feeling well at all. He came home and went straight for the couch.  This little guy has been sick a number of times previously including once with septicemia.  He was acting a little out of character and his fever would not go down so mom took him back to the ER.

He was sent home, advised under quarantine, b/c they were thinking it might be the H1N1 flu.  His symptoms included high fever, headache, lethargic, loss of appetite, leg pains but no sore throat and no nausea and vomiting.  If he develops a sore throat he is to come back in to the ER. It has been 2 days since and still no sore throat or n & v but his fever went from 102 and 103 down to 91.6 last night.  Is this not an extreme variation in temperature? He seemed to have lost the fever but then it came back a few hours later.

Sorry for such a long post but I am worried that his illness is not the flu but maybe some complications from hitting the back of his head on the corner of the cement curb.  Is it possible that the temperature variations are from the head injury? Am I worrying too much?

Thank you so much for reading.

Gramma