Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
ANOXIA
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

ANOXIA

I NEED SOME HELP IN UNDERSTANDING WHAT I HAVE AND HOW TO TREAT THIS NEUROLOGICAL PROBLEM. THIS ANOXIA IS SECONDARY TO AND STEMS FROM A SUDDEN CARDIAC DEATH THAT I SUFFERED IN JULY 2007. NOW THAT MY HEART ISSUES HAVE STABALIZED - THE DOCTORS NOW WANT TO ADDRESS THE ANOXIA ISSUES. ANY HELP OR INSIGHT WOULD BE APPRECIATED THANKS BOB

Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi

Sudden cardiac death is also known as sudden cardiac arrest. All known heart diseases can lead to cardiac arrest and sudden cardiac death. However, the most common cause are cardiac arrhythmias where irregular heart rhythm causes the heart to suddenly stop beating.

A complete interruption of oxygen supply to the brain results from various causes including cardiac arrest / sudden cardiac death (SCD), ventricular fibrillation, respiratory arrest, drowning, strangulation, shock and carbon monoxide poisoning. This episode if lasting more than 5 minutes leads to permanent residual damage in patients who survive.

Such patients initially recover from hypoxic-ischemic insult but later may develop progressive neurologic deficits like shuffling gait, diffuse rigidity and spasticity and parkinsonism. This is known as Delayed Post anoxic Encephalopathy.

The exact pathogenesis remains unknown.

Constant medical supervision is required in such cases. The possible treatments include anti-parkinsonian medication, physical and occupational therapy.

Hope this gives you some insight.

Blank
406412_tn?1217441984
THANKS FOR YOUR INFORMATIVE RESPONSE.  WHAT FIELD OF EXPERTISE DO YOU SPECIALIZE IN ? ? ? DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT PATH OF TREATMENT I SHOULD FOLLOW
THANKS
BOB
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979