Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
AVM injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

AVM injury

My nephew Marco 26 years old, had an AVM bleed located at the cerebellum area on November 6, 2008.  He fell unconscious in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.  He was then operated on and now the AVM is cleared.

Marco was in a coma and opened his eyes for the first time on November 30, 2008.  To date Marco is making steady but slow progress.  He can now answer yes or no by nodding or shaking his head.  He can do thumb up with his left hand.  He attempted to wave goodbye to a visitor by lifting his front part of the left arm up 90 degrees.  He is starting to move his fingers a little bit on his right hand.  There is also little movements on his left toes but not the right as yet.  Marco's memory, intelligence and sense of humour are there, because he can recognise people and even smiled when one of the doctors cracked a joke.

In the last couple of weeks he tried to say "hello" to friends but of cause that's not clear as yet, so I believe speech is coming along.  Marco is still wearing a mini trachea but hopefully it's coming out by the end of this week.  Marco's biggest enemy now is his fatigue problem, he seems to be sleeping a lot even during the day.  He is constantly having body temperature and whenever he gets that he is sleeping all day.  Marco is still in hospital (it's been 4 months), one rehab will not accept him because he is not advanced enough and another rehab will but not until May.

Is it normal that patients has this sort of injury (in the cerebellum) they tends to need more rest to recuperate?   Marco is still sleeping a lot day time now 4 months post injury.  Is it normal?  Can I say this is a good sign that he sleeps a lot because the brain still needs recovery rather than awake all day and not being able to response to any thing at all?  

IIt seems to us that his control of movements are intact it's just that he needs lots of energy and fully conscious to do what he wants to do.

Because he can sometimes move his fingers and toes on command does that mean that he will be fully functional again but it's just a matter of time?  and how long does it usually take for someone to start moving his fingers till being able to walk again?

Your feed back on all these questions would be very much appreciated as we are a very close family and I'm loosing sleep over Marco's tragic illness.

Tania