Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
AVM removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

AVM removal

My son is 22 yr old. He had an AVM repaired at the end of June this year and everything was great for1 week. While playing bean bags, he all of a sudden had the worst headache so we took him to the hospital, where they air lifted him to Chicago (after being diagnosised with a bleed from a part of the avm that was left in.) He had a MRI ater his first surgery so I dont know why they couldnt see it. The Neurosurgeon went back in and removed the remaining avm part but this time my son was left with right sided weakness.He was a great athelete but now cant run or play any sports because of uncoordination of his right side. Is this called dysmetria or spasticity? He connot make a smooth move that is right on. They are usually moves that are over or under . Will this get better or should he start perfecting his left side (hes right handed) He also cant write very well. This is really the hardest thing for him (and me) Now he hesitates to go places with his friends unless it takes no movement like sports,dancing etc.He is presently in college to be a gym teacher and thank God for the americans with disabilities act............. they are providing a note taker for him.      What else can we do ??????????  can somebody help us?  Also is there any other 22 yr old (or so) that could give him some encouragement?        Thank you so much    Sheila.
I'm going to advise you to get to a website that has many experienced sufferers on it. I'm on another as a result of concussion and damage that has helped me a lot. Tests often don't initially show the damage and I, as well as many others, am living proofs. It is not necessarily the doctors fault, the tests are not full proof, the symptoms are. Sorry to here about the tragedy, I know it sounds like useless information but time is sometimes the necessary healer & waiting the hardest thing to do. How long has it been since the surgery? In answer to your question without going in to all the details. Spasticity is a messed up central nervous, the muscles continually get messages from the brain to tighten and we "over-fire"(move without control).It is more often, though not always progressive and usually disease related(spastic cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis). What to do depends on the severity as there are drugs that can help, but they have some nasty side effects.
Dysmetria is more of a lack of coordination, where you will over/under shoot the movement. Here we can't receive and/or process signals quick enough. an example, the ball hits you in the face when you go to catch it because you couldn't see it properly, couldn't judge its distance, or couldn't get your glove up fast enough. The pathways between the  damaged cerebellum are hindered(plain English: the eyes speak to the brain it has to receive it fast enough and clear-spatial information; the cerebellum then does what it is asked to do). It is kind of like more of a difficulty to judge distance or scale.
A simple motor activity test performed by a doctor should reveal this and if found a referral to a good TEAM of ENT specialists( I suggest team because they could perform various tests and you would immediately get more than one opinion). I have lovely friends with MS & CP but unfortunately they are unable to correspond. I'll pray for you and your situation, may God help you and give you/yours/specialists discernment. My care and my prayer

Daniel