Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
CEREBELLA TONSILS HERNIATE INTO FORAMEN MAGNUM

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Hi everyone, ive searched everywhere for a site like this, basically i have had my MRI report back, am waiting for neuro consultant appointment, but it says

" the cerebella tonsils herniate into the foramen magnum, However they appear normal shape, there is fullness at the level of foramen magnum with obliteration of fluid space"

I would really like to understand what this means please?

Thanks so much.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Brain has a part called cerebellum, which has parts called tonsils. If they herniated through foramen magnum, which is an opening in the skull, then it can cause pressure on the brainstem and upper cord. Depending on the degree of herniations, these are classified into 3 types Chiari Malformation (CM) 1, M 2 and CM 3. CM1 is usually asymptomatic and an incidental finding in most MRI.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/337936-overview this web page has your answer. Look under tonsils though!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Thanks so much, i'm just trying to take it all in, been poorly since last October, headaches, vertigo [ with flashes of purple lights] 'electric shock' type pain in arms, legs, neck, wrists and knees and loss of hair. I have episodes of being bed bound for a few days at a time, bit like incoheriant [sp] very tierd all the time, i was refered to neurologists cause of the bad headaches and have since had MRI with this plus - Mild scoliosis concave to right lumber / Disc protusion at c3-4 impinging of exciting left nerve and loss of phsiological cervical lordis /slight assymetry of temporal horns with the right being larger. as well as 2 recent A&E trips for extreme abdominal pain which has since shown in a ultrasound as both kidneys diolated with the left being larger and has stagnent urine in, No kidney stones present in the kidneys so gotta have some dyd injected.

This has been so on going, and ive found the NHS to be less than helpfull, im for ever having appointments cancelled and moved, all i want to know is what does this mean for me ........

Thanks so much in advance
Is any one able to comment?? My neurologist has just really upset me and said i cant get an appointment untill septemeber, and she said 'it's not a brain herniation' in a mannor which made me feel like i have no clue whats going on.