Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
CSF Leak after Chiari Decompression

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

CSF Leak after Chiari Decompression

I had a Chiari decompression surgery done on June 28th.  The surgery went well but the following day I all but flatlined.  Blood pressure dropped, pulse ox dropped, oxygen level dropped.  After 5 days I was finally sent home.  Since then I have had the most excruciating headaches that feel like my skull is cracking.  I was given new pain meds that helped with these headaches for 2 days then they came back.  My problem is that I have started leaking csf from the incision.  I went to the doctors last week and he said it will heal just give it time.  For a few days following the appt it stopped but last night it started again this time heavier.  My husband put a bandage on it and this morning when I took it off it was still coming out very heavy.  All day today I have had to keep a bandage or paper towel on it and its still coming out so heavy that it soaked the collar of my shirt.  I am not sure if I should keep letting it go or go to the ER since the doctors office is closed for the weekend.  At what point is the leak so severe that it should be checked?  And how likely is it that the leak being that heavy could lead to meningitis?  I really do not want to go to the hospital but I really do not want serious complications either.  Any advice is helpful.
Hi!

I am sorry to hear about this. You need urgent medical care. CSF leak following Chiari decompression surgery can cause spontaneous intracranial hypertension. This precipitates a constant headache that does not respond to medication.  Usually doctors recommend bed rest until the leak stops. However, major leaks will need to be looked into. Please consult your doctor immediately. Remain in bed rest until you have seen a doctor. Take care!

Hi...I just wanted to add, in addition to bed rest, drink plenty of water to remain hydrated and  know u r not alone, MedHelp does have a Chiari forum and I invite u to join when u r feeling betterhttp://www.medhelp.org/forums/Chiari-Malformation/show/257?controller=forums&action=show&id=257&camp=msc