Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
CUSSING AND QUICK ANGER

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

CUSSING AND QUICK ANGER

2000 A.D. AUTO ACCIDENT:  I cuss, sware, etc. easily and without forthought.  Usually this is triggered by frustration or anger.  If I had a switch I'd turn it off but it is on automatic piolet.  Any success stories, suggestions, etc.
  Also my happy, to sad, to angry etc. emotions have steightened out a lot but I still FLASH WITH ANGER.  This and the cussing (sister and brother act)  occure daily.  HELP!
Thanks for any insights, suggestions, etc. you might have.
Tags: CUSSING-ANGER
Hi!
It is possible to see a change in personality and develop anger post traumatic brain injury. It is often due to post traumatic stress. It would help greatly to join anger support groups and counseling sessions. You can learn meditation and anger control techniques during these counseling sessions. Yoga also helps in a great way. Deep breathing exercises too help control anger. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!
Ever human being has two personalities. That is my own theory based on observations over the by years of patient's in extreme distress brought into emergency rooms. Let's take the example of blood loss in a person involved in  an auto accident. These patients will curse like a truckdriver (apologies to drivers) until they are brought into the hospital and their hematocrit goes back into the normal range after a transfusion. It is like a "switch". From being a "monster" they turn into the parish priest. Similarly, a patient on prednisone (which eliminates the immune system making them very vulnerable) often turn into "prednisone monstersd" while they are on the medication. To cut to the chase and connect the dots:  When the body is very vulnerable and cannot defend itself, a sort of "lizard brain" kicks in as a means of self defense. Imagine a wounded man in the jungle before firearms. A predator comes along and the only defense is verbal agression. This is important because it means that the anger may be hard-wired in the human race, and something for which genetics and not you yourself are responsible. If the "body" believes it has a limited means of defense (which may not be true) the "monster personality" kicks in and you begin cursing at the slightest offense or becoming inappropriately angry. A severe brain injury falls into the same category as the person with a low hematocrit. Knowing this fact helps you to control the anger. It isn't something you necessarily require psychiatric treatment for. It is a natural defense mechanism necessary to insure survival in the jungle.