Can CT scan detect cause of vertigo
I have been suffering from spinning dizziness. I went to ENT and said it was caused by vertigo. He examined by ear and said my eardrum was in good condition. I took medicine Cinnarizine twice a day for a week. The whole week I was fine, but the second week when I was not taking that medicine as my doctor said, I experienced vertigo much worse almost everyday but lasting for a few minutes. I am now taking Cinnarizine and under observation. The doctor said if in the middle of medication I had a attack of vertigo, I should undergo CT Scan. But he was thinking twice because if the vertigo is caused by a tumor inside, the vertigo should last hours.
The answer is sometimes, however an MRI would involve far less exposure to harmful radiation. It is possible that the vertigo is called by a neuroma, or tumor, but this is unlikely. Vertigo often develops as a viral infection of the vestibular organs in the ear or the nerves leading there. It is not unusual to have a period of several weeks with this problem. Many times it "disappears" and you never find out the etiology. I have had it for as long as three weeks. Then "poof". It disappeared and never came back. You might try fresh ginger tea. Slices of fresh raw ginger steeped in hot water four times a day. It doesn't always work. That is a traditional remedy for vertigo and seasickness.