Cerebellar tonsillar ectopia
My daughter was diagnosed with a minimal downward extension of the cerebellar tonsillar.  What does this mean?
this is another way to explain chiari malformation...basically the cerebellum back part of the brain has 2 tonsils that sit with in the skull, when the skull is malformed or if there is an outside force that forces the tonsils out of the foreman magnum they can cause a CSF blockage as well as compress the brain stem and many symptoms.

.........may I ask what symptoms does she present that the MRI was done?

Do u know if a CINE MRI was done to see if she has a CSF blockage?......

We do have a Chiari forum  here on MedHelp- http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Chiari-Malformation/show/257?camp=msc
I invite u to join us fo info, and support as we do have other care givers as well as chiarians pre and post op.

"selma"

Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Brain has a part called cerebellum, which has parts called tonsils. If they herniated through foramen magnum, which is an opening in the skull, then it can cause pressure on the brainstem and upper cord. Depending on the degree of herniations, these are classified into 3 types Chiari Malformation (CM) 1, CM 2 and CM 3. CM1 is usually asymptomatic and an incidental finding in most MRI. Hence if your daughter has vertigo and dizziness and other such symptoms then she must be having either CM 2 or CM3. If medications do not help, then treatment is decompression surgery. Please consult a neurosurgeon regarding this. Take care!
Hi...I am sorry , but type I can be symptomatic and even require surgery.....

The Chiari Type II malformation (CM II) is a unique hindbrain herniation found only in patients with myelomeningocele and is the leading cause of death in these individuals younger than 2 years of age.

type 3: An extremely rare malformation where the base of the brain enters into the upper spinal canal. Type 3 involves the herniation of brain or brain stem tissue out of the back of the neck or head. The condition generally has a poor prognosis.This is  only found at birth.

Type 1-  malformation of the skull, no herniation need be present, and the blockage of CSF can result in being misdx'd for yrs.Many times drs feel it is asymptomatic after treating the patient for yrs for things they never really had.....
Type 1 is the most common type and posterior fossa decompression surgery is done when benefits out weight the risks.Surgery is not a cure, but a means to slow progression. The disruption and stoppage of CSF not only causes symptoms, but can cause a syrinx to form also known as Syringomyelia....these cyst like cavities fill with CSF and can put pressure on the cord and cause perm nerve damage. The decompression surgery opens up the CSF flow to avoid this from happening.
Too many are misinformed that chiari is incidental and asymptomatic.....stop by the chiari forum and see what I mean.....

U do need to consult with a NS for this, but one that is a true chiari specialist.

"selma"