Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Concussion Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Concussion Question

Wednesday 5/1 I fall test riding a bike - no helmet - and hit left side of head on asphalt. hematoma immediate from above temple running down side of head. knew I was hurt and likely concussed, but drove myself back to my hotel 70 miles away where I was attending conference. restless night from aches and pains of fall. only symptom was that I felt sluggish. almost like flu symptoms. went to ER 24 hours later and had CT and all tests were100% normal and left with concussion diagnosis.

never lost conscience. have complete recollection of all events before and after. never had a headache, never vomited, never really dizzy except for lightheadedness associated with sluggishness. literally no problems other than lethargy, which is somewhat depression linked....

on Monday I awoke with what I think is ulnar entrapment. I can literally feel the ulnar nerve shift when I flex my arm or rotate it. that has led to pinky finger numbness that continues here 7 days later. hasn't gotten better but hasn't gotten worse. then about Wednesday I get what I would describe as either carpal or tendonitis. weakness in thumb tenderness in wrist. all that has formed general weakness in hand. I have a strong grip. the weakness is more in the rotational movement in brushing hair or scratching my scalp or leg. I can pick up and grab whatever I want.

I suffer from anxiety already and have had this neuropathy in the past. also, this whole incident literally freaked me out to the point of panic attacks for the first 4 days. now I am obsessed with this hand problem so I continue to think of nothing else.

I feel so normal that today I went and did a 15 mile ride in the neighborhood and was strong and balanced. all felt normal except for the neuropathy in the hand and forearm.

I literally have no neuro symptoms, unless the above is related to the tbi. And that is my question.

Is it very likely that what I describe above could be caused by this head injury? my logic tells me that it is localized in my elbow, forearm and hand since I have no issues between the location in the brain and the point of the problem -  no upper arm issue, shoulder, neck, back etc.

I cannot find one single link that correlates such neuropathy to tbi, so that is why I am asking here.

what say you?

thanks in advance.
Hi!
It’s less likely that the nerve issues, numbness etc are due to TBI. It can be due to compression of the spinal nerve in the neck due to a mild disc prolapsed due to the accident. A nerve conduction study and EMG may need to be done. Also, you could be having cubital tunnel syndrome, in which the ulnar nerve is compressed at the elbow. This causes numbness of pinky finger and that side of ring finger along with pain on the inner side of forearm. Treatment is usually through physiotherapy.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.