Concussion
Can a person who is concussed and reports no LOC actually be experiencing a LOC at that time? I was concussed and was diagnosed with a Moderate Concussion in the ER and have no recollection of anything during that time. Is all this possible?
Hi!
Yes, it is really possible. In fact most patients who meet a vehicular accident or have an unexpected severer head injury do not remember losing consciousness. They remember minutes before the injury and getting up on a hospital bed or on a roadside etc, but have no idea how they got there or what happened in between. This is the time where they had lost consciousness.
Sometimes the loss of consciousness is very transient. In these cases too a person may have no recollection that he had lost consciousness. Hope this answers your query! Take care!
Thank you Doctor Mathur. More to the point, during the concussion can a person appear as if they are functioning normally and be oriented to time and place? My experience was being taken to the ER, after several blows to the temple area of my head, where I was reported to have been Ox3 upon examination and denying a loss of conscientiousness. Yet I cannot remember the time in the ER until shortly before. This is highly perplexing to me. Can that happen?
Yes, it is possible. There have been instances of people walking to a doctor with a complaint of head injury, or doing some task after brain injury and later having no recollection of it. People ted to lose the memory of a time just or shortly after the blow to the head. Hope this helps. Take care!
It certainly does Doctor. Thanks for the information. It explains a bit to me.