Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
DO'S AND DONT'S AFTER HEMO STROKE

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

DO'S AND DONT'S AFTER HEMO STROKE

Hello. I am 29 and i had a hemorrhagic stroke 2 months ago. It was a baby stroke and I have fully recovered except for my vision. I have left side neglect and am currently unable to drive. Unfortunately I did not have health insurance when this occurred, and have not spoken to a neurologist since my hospital release. I was wondering if there were specific things I should be avoiding in my daily life. The cause of the stroke was unknown. I have no history of strokes in my family and as far as I knew I was very healthy. I am active, I have a healthy lifestyle, etc.
I was wondering in what ways  should  I be cautious. Is drinking alcohol in any amount acceptable? Is it okay to run? What should I limit and what should I avoid?
Thank you for your time and knowledge,
Amy
This is my first post!!   I had a hemorrhagic stroke 8 years ago.  First of all, you MUST get with a neurologist.  It is absolutely a must.  There are risks of re-bleed and I remember there were different stats (percentage of fatal re-bleeds) at different times after the initial bleed.  PLEASE try to figure that out.   As far as what to do and what not to do, I know that drinking of any amount was forbidden by my neuro.  It was also extremely important to keep my blood pressure down.  The cause of my bleed and stroke were also unkown which makes it more important to find a dr.  I wouldn't run or exercise too heavily until you get the ok from a dr.  My entire life changed when I had my bleed and stroke.  I suffer from horrific headaches (did you have those in the hospital immediatly after the bleed?).  I suffer from them on a regular basis  since the bleed.  I can't work and I am on heavy duty pain meds every day.  

If nothing else, research as much as you can on the subject.  At the time I had my stroke there was not very much info out there, but now there seems to be more  info on the web and on sites like these.  Just be as informed as you can.  

But please, try to get a dr.  Even if you have to have govt assistance or somehting.  What happened to you is very serious and while you may feel good, as you well know, a bleed and stroke can sneak up on you with no warning.  

Hope t his helps....

catdad4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
I ambsolutely agree with 4buddy do not consume any alcoholic beverages whatsoever. If you have troubles then try non alcoholic beer and visit a support system. Otherwise get lots of rest avoid impact sports like running for now and wait for the okay from a doc. If you are insistent on exercising then just walk for now.

Goos Luck
Thank you for your reply! I have had an appointment with a neurologist for a long time now. i am just waiting patiently, or trying to for July 8th. I have sooooo many questions for the doctor and just hope that I can get answers! Until then, I am living my life in a way to avoid any further strokes. Sorry that you are experiencing headaches. That sounds painful! Take care and thanks again!!
Cigarette smoking, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, lack of exercise, excessive drinking, obesity are all risk factors that can cause stroke.
I would suggest you to limit your alcohol intake, it is ok to continue with your exercise routine as long as you don’t overexert yourself and also keep a tab on your blood pressure.

I 'm an youngster of age 20 having stroke what are my do's & don'ts Any pls mail to pa.***@****

Thank UU..