Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Deep Tendon Reflexes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Deep Tendon Reflexes

Last week I went to a pain management clinic at the Seattle VA to get a steroid epidural injection at the L4-L5 notch.  The doctor that checked me out before the procedure mentioned my hyperactive reflexes in all of my reflex points.  I told him it had been that way for as long as I could remember but was getting worse and that I had muscle jerks a lot.  He said I should see a neurologist about this.  My question is, could this be from my spinal injuries and/or head trauma of 1970?  See "About Me" in my profile for description of the accident and injuries.  I don't have any abnormal blood chemestry.  At the age of 65, could this lead to more serious problems?  I also have been diagnosed with late onset PTSD from my Viet Nam service.  I might also note that I have been on a lot of different medications for back spasms and low back pain over the years and my hyperactive reflex problems seem to be the same, no matter what meds I was on.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Well, if you do not have low calcium and low magnesium, low Vit B12, then the exaggerated reflexes can be due to anxiety and stress, spinal cord lesions and traumatic brain injury. Whether old brain and spine injuries are the cause or not can only be assessed by a neurologist. Take care!