Extreme Heaviness At Back of Head
I had a hemorrhagic stroke in March, 2005 (with subsequent surgery to remove a cavernoma at R cerebellum and medulla that burst).

Within the past few weeks, the back of my head is VERY heavy (to the point to where the left, back muscles of my neck hurt near the end of the day from holding it up).  I believe it's nerves in that area, but why now would I be feeling this?

Pain in the back of the head is often referred to as a cervicogenic (meaning: from the neck) headache because it often originates from an irritation in the upper cervical (neck) spine. This is because the nerves that supply the back of the head originate in the upper cervical spine.

Usually this kind of pain is worse with prolonged sitting in a stooped posture as when working on a keyboard for long hours.  It is seen most commonly in patients with whiplash injury and in patients with marked arthritis of the upper cervical spine.

Rare causes of pain at this area include Brain aneurysms, brain tumors, Brain infection like meningitis or encephalitis, stroke or TIA.

Pls get a CT back of head and neck or MRI neck to find out the confirmatory diagnosis.

Pls consult a neurologist for a thorough check up and starting with the treatment.

Take care and regards.