Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Fainted, hit head, and now blacking out

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Fainted, hit head, and now blacking out

Ok so the other day I was very dehydrated because I wasn't drinking enough water for the baby and I (I am breastfeeding) and I ended up fainting. Well when I fainted I hit me head on a rock and got about 47 stitches on my head. I noticed though that since I hit my head I have been getting bad headaches, feeling very dizzy, feeling light headed, and blacking out. Do you think I could have a concussion? I am going to see my doctor tomarrow and just wanted to see what others thought.
Hi!
Yes, blackouts can be due to concussion. However, it can also be due to injury or bleed inside brain or due to subdural hematoma. Sometimes whiplash type of injury affecting the spinal nerves in the neck cause similar symptoms.
You will need an urgent MRI of the brain. Please consult a doctor or go to ER immediately. Please do not drive. Also, have someone over to care for the baby and be with you in case you have blackouts again. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.