Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Fainting after piercing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

Fainting after piercing

I went with my brother to get his septum pierced. Everything went well and the piercer told him to get up from where he was sitting and to go check out his piercing in the mirror. The mirror was about five feet away from the bench. He then got up and walked over to check it out. Then he turned around to show me, but then he fell forward and hit his forehead against the wall, then his body slid and his face slammed onto the ground. His fall happened so fast that I was unable to try to catch him. I was terrified and couldn't comprehend what was going on. All I remember was trying to wake him up, the piercer walked over to U.S. And picked up my brother's eyeglasses, she left the room and I was so angry that she left. She then came back with two male employees who she claimed would help lift him up to lie down. Ny brother started groaning and I had never heard anything like that, then while he was lying face down, with his face to the side, his arms started to shake/wiggle around. He finally regained consciousness and lifted himself up   to somewhat of a push up position. Just his upper half was lifted. He looked confused/lost. His eyes were so red and he looked scared. When we finally got him to lie down on the cushioned seat the employees started explaining that this can happen to people who have eaten, and my brother admitted to not have eaten yet. Afterward I took him to the ER and he ended up getting stitches. The doctor was a complete jerk and didn't really explain what could have happened with him. He just kept saying "I'd faint too if I just pierced my septum" he never explained. I was wondering why this happens, and was he seizuring when he shook on the ground? Is it normal for a groaning sound to come from someone who has just fainted? I am trying to find answers from anyone. Ive never been so afraid than In those few minutes.
The chances are this was due to the piercing and not due to epilepsy. Nevertheless, in every hospital in the United States the drill is overnight observation for anyone with a loss of consciousness. You did the right thing in going to the ER.
Oh...the place that did the piercing should foot the ER bill.