Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Fall from a horse/bad taste and eye sight....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

I had a traumatic brain injury 8 weeks ago. I was found unconscous, in decorticate posturing,  after a fall from a horse, even with a helmet on. I was told they could not wake me, even with the smelly stuff until just before my arrival at the hospital so I am guessing I was knocked out for at the very least 20=30 minutes. The neurologist who looked me over labeled it a 3rd degree concussion...I was told by him that I had damaged my temporal lobe along with my 4th and 6th cranial nerves. I lost remembrance of 12 days...two days before and the 10 days after.. My balance and eye sight has improved some but my left eye pupil is still a bit larger than the right and its vision still doesn't line up with the right so I have to **** my head down and to the side to focus or I'll just close the left eye, if I want to read or see something that's too close to allow me to bend down enough (**** it) to focus. I don't enjoy food anymore because there's a taste I experience no matter what I eat. Even chocolate has it and really, my own spit has it. My speach has suffered because the words don't come well...I used to sing at church but even my voice isnt what it used to be.  
I don't have insurance so I can't afford to go back to a DR. (I'm owing over 24K now, lol) I still do stupid stuff or totally forget I did, or I've got to do something... I paid a bill by sending them a totlly blank check once... I can go into the bathroom, wash my face, brush my teeth, put deodorant on and walk to another room and then forget I did it...feed the horses come inside and do a load of laundry and forget I fed them. I had to learn how to use my phone and computor all over again...still learning... I do silly stuff like that all the time (now called, the "oops" factor) and I just thank God I have a family that's very patient with me.
Please, if anyone has any ideal how long I'm going to have to live like this please help. I'm 48. If anyone has dealt with anything like this I would really appreciate the outcome and anything you may have done to help.   Big Thanks

Hi!
I am sorry for all that you are suffering. However, you do need another MRI of the brain and the neck region to see whether you have any residual injury, nerve compression, bleed, subdural hematoma etc. Thereafter you may need treatment depending on the cause. If you do not have insurance, then please ask around for charitable hospitals or institutions which can help you out. Take care!