Falling object onto head, any dangers?
Hi, 2 days ago a large magazine fell down from the shelf and hit my head. Since then the area which it had hit has been sore (but no lump has appeared). I have experienced no symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, eyes dilating differently, etc. I do have a shoulder ache but i'm not sure if it's associated with this incident. So my question is, can this bump in the head lead to anything serious? Or is it safe to return to my daily activities?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Normally a hit by a magazine will not cause any problem unless it is a heavy one and falling from a great height. A bump can form in the scalp—a contusion which will heal with time. However one cannot ignore any head injury. So at least get yourself examined by your PCP, who may order a CT Scan to be on the safe side.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Hi thanks for answering, just wanted to let you know that the magazine is around less than half a kilo, but did not fall from a great height (about half a metre). Does this pose as a threat? My head is still sore, so I am considering to head to the doctors tommorow morning.
I just went to the doctors today (i also bumped my head on my bed frame), and he checked my blood pressure. The reading is normal so he beleives there is nothing wrong with me. The doctor believes neck pain is muscle pain due to an awkward sleeping position and this is causing headaches. All i need is rest, panadol and some cream. Thanks = )