Head & Traumatic Brain Injury Community
Have you recovered from loss of taste and smell after 1 year.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Head & Traumatic Brain Injuries.

I was in an auto accident in  Aug of 2009 and suffered a head injury.  I have since lost almost all of my sense of taste and smell.  I can tell the difference between salty and sweet and can faintly smell things but not nearly like I use to smell and taste.  Please let me know if you or anyone you know have regained their sense of smell and taste when it has been lost for a year or more ?

I need a little hope !!!
I lost my real sense of smell and taste after a mTBI a year and half ago.  Meaning everything smells and tastes what it is not supposed to be.  It used be real bad smells and tastes and now it is some what not that bad.

You can check out another thread where few people reported they got their senses back after 2 years.

I still living on hope for this and many other symptoms.  One ENT specialist (Neuro-Otologist) told me to pray to GOD.
I do pray to GOD all the time ! I'm still hopeful but the more time that passes my hope is fading.  What other thread are you talking about?  I think I've read every website 3 times over already.  I hope you have a full recovery too!

Cindy
One of my friend told me even if you lose hope don't lose the faith.  I know it is easier said than done. I suffer with this loss and many other symptoms.

You can also check out where this doctor addresses only this disorder in Washington D.C.  Again nothing is guaranteed.
http://www.tasteandsmell.com/

Following is the thread and you can see how many people suffer like us.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Head--Traumatic-Brain-Injury/Head-trauma-causes-loss-of-smell-taste/show/612120
I suffered a  slight injury to the back of the head after a fall 14 mths ago and since then have lost totally my sense of smell but i have this abnormal taste in the mouth all of the time and no one seems to be able to help me has anyone got any ideas please please
I do get some abnormal taste some times.  It used to be bad and constant but now I get some times and have no idea when or how I get that.

I guess you would have gone your rounds with doctors.  Are you on any medications?  Some medications may cause that effect especially the medicines which affects the brain.  

Have you tried any exercise to improve blood flow to brain which may have some benefits.  I do get some benefits and it is noticeable.  I keep updating the doctors and again no one has a clue why all this happens.  
I haven't been able to taste of smell since falling off a bike  on the back of my head 7 mos. ago.  The last few have been the really bad smell people describe.  I've been told that there's nothing they can do.  It's depressing.  I guess a lot of other people suffer.
   Jon
I lost my sense of smell about 2 years ago,I could tell the difference between coffee and bacon but I could not smell the soap when I took a shower!!! for the last 3 days everything smells disgusting and I have a really bad headache so I am curious if this means it may be coming back, cause I would rather have no sense of smell than to have everthing stink
I can understand that disgusting smell which I had for about one year.  I even thought about severing the nerve so I can completely lose it.  
Anyways smell improved but still long ways to go.  Some days I get that disgusting smell when my stomach gets upset, or I try any other medications doctors try for other conditions.  It is still a battle for me but I have other serious symptoms so I try to ignore this.  
I fell off my horse and busted my head open with bleeding on the brain 3 months ago and now cannot smell or taste. It is very depressing. I pray every day. I don't get a bad taste in my mouth but have this distinct Oder that is hard to explain.  When regular smells are strong I get that Oder. Makes me sick to my stomach.  I pray I get it all back
My smell and taste improved only after 2 years and now to the point I don't complain.  Certain frequencies (?) of smell still not good but most part it is good.  I don't get that bad smell that much anymore.  Surprisingly some days are much better when my overall symptoms goes down.  Occasionally my smell and taste goes back to almost normal too.  
It is only 3 months for you so it is wait and see game.  But I do understand how depressing it can be.